Protesters march for immigration rights

Thousands of immigrant rights supporters rallied during Tuesday's "Day Without Latinos." They marched peacefully, protesting recent workplace raids and advocating for comprehensive reform of immigration law.

The marchers carried signs bearing slogans such as, "Justice and Liberty for All," "Stop the Raids" and "I'm a Person, Not a Problem." Milwaukee police closed streets along a two-mile route from near South 5th Street and West National Avenue to Veterans Park, 1010 N. Lincoln Memorial Dr.

An hour before the noon start time, the crowd filled an entire block in front of Voces de la Frontera, 1027 S. 5th St., home of the march's organizing force.

A clown giving out candy, street vendors selling frozen treats, drummers, a mariachi band and a sea of families with U.S. flags gave the scene a celebratory mood.

Voces volunteers estimated that the number of demonstrators was close to last year's total of around 65,000.

Among them was Alain Lovaco, a senior at Bradley Technology and Trade School, who marched with his friends.

"We're here to help our people and support them. One person doesn't make a difference, but it does at the same time. I'm skipping all four classes today, and one of my teachers even came. So did my aunt," he said.

According to the Voces Web site, the group wants Congress to enact legislation that would grant illegal immigrants more rights, like access to emergency health care and higher education, a chance to get a driver's license and other benefits of legal residency.

The "Day Without Latinos" march was intended to protest recent workplaces raids, particularly the Aug. 8 raid on Star Packaging, LLC in Whitewater.

To demonstrate his role in the workforce, 28-year-old Noe Morales, of Waukesha, wore an orange hardhat while marching with Milwaukee Laborer's Local 113 union. He said immigrants deserve equal rights because they contribute just as much to the economy as other Americans.

"We're not going away," Morales said. "We're here to work and to make money. We're not here to commit crimes or to be terrorists."

The swarm of people spanned almost a mile toward the lakefront and wound past Latino-run businesses. Marchers chanted, "S