Coldplay plus Christianity creates Washpool

Stu Winter, a junior in the College of Business Administration and lead singer/pianist for the band Washpool, is wearing a Gap inspi(red) T-shirt on the day of the interview. This clothing choice illuminates two important facts about his character.

First, the shirt carries a positive message, much like the wearer's lyrics. Secondly, it points to one of his largest musical influences – U2 – as Bono is the co-founder of (PRODUCT)RED.

It also begs the question: What is he inspired by?

"Music was created to glorify God," Winter said. "When you listen to most songs you're either having a blast or you're searching for meaning."

His lyrics mostly deal with the latter. On Winter's original song, "Beautiful," he sings: "corporations from here to there/sound constantly filling the air/there's a place I can go that will bring rest to my soul/You and me/so beautiful"

However, the band, which won the Winter Flurry talent show in January and another talent show at Marquette last year, also cover songs by Coldplay, U2 and Hillsong UNITED. Winter's voice and piano style often are compared to Coldplay and U2 by fans, which he takes as a compliment: "You can't not sound like who you like."

In being compared with Coldplay, Winter also notes other similarities. Everyone in Coldplay except bassist Guy Berryman has a college degree, and Winter and his band members also plan to finish college.

In addition to Winter's brother Mitch, a guitarist who receives comparisons to the Edge, Ehan Whitney plays the bass and David Cassel keeps the Brookfield-based band together on the drums.

Winter is majoring in finance and marketing and is an intern at Harley Davidson. As Washpool's name becomes more recognizable, Winter relays that the band has been able to ask for more money at gigs, perhaps a lesson learned from his formal schooling.

Though Winter's lyrics reflect his education, Washpool's music resonates with younger audiences. "When youths and teens hear our music, they're like 'Wow, that's out of the box,'" Winter said. "We help people out mental pages that they place themselves in. We don't want to go into something to proselytize."

The band plays the same songs in secular environments, but Winter finds churches "more edifying" and "fun" to play. And no wonder since his father, a pastor, is the band's "hardest critic. He's always telling us what to improve," Winter said.

After meeting at the Eagle's Nest in Brookfield through the House Worship Team youth group, the band members have branched out from church basements to a mission trip to Israel. But they mostly play around Wisconsin at churches and high schools.

Many college and high school students appreciate the band's music, but it hasn't struck a chord everywhere. At the recent battle of the bands, sponsored by Delta Chi in the support of fighting cancer, the band didn't even come close to the top five.

Winter couldn't explain this, but no matter, he'll just return back to square one – playing the piano. His "intimate" songwriting process usually stretches over two to three weeks, beginning with him sitting alone in front of his family's baby grand piano. After he figures out the chord progression, he then brings it to his band mates. "They haven't not liked any of it yet," Winter said.

Winter believes the substance of the lyrics is what elevates his music.

"How does it make you feel to sing about a 'gal'?" Winter asked.

"There's nothing of value," he said. "It doesn't carry you into the next day."