Meet, greet and compete

Twenty-four students attended the Marquette Student Government-sponsored Meet and Greet with MUSG President and Executive Vice President candidates Monday night.

Brock Banks and Sara Soriano

Candidates' platform

"The students lost a valuable service when the DogEars Web site broke down . if elected, we will work toward replacing the DogEars services through a connection with the Pick-a-Prof Web site," Banks said.

If elected, what is the first and most important issue you would address?

"The SOA process needs to be re-examined and the application needs to be updated. If elected, we will look at that immediately," Banks said.

If elected, will you support the spending of the MUSG Reserve Fund, and if so, what do you propose funding?

"We want to use a portion of the Reserve Fund for summer allocations to student organizations and then hold a spring forum in order for students to present their ideas on how to spend the remainder of the fund," Banks said.

Sara Stellpflug and Dan Guenther

Candidates' platform

"If elected, we will work with the administration to establish a more effective dead week to allow students the opportunity to focus on studying to retain knowledge instead of cramming," Guenther said.

"The foremost issue is increasing communication between the administration and the student body. MUSG is the liaison between those two groups and we need to work to improve this through talking with student groups, and create better relationships with administrators," Stellpflug said.

"We support the idea of purchasing community service vans with money from the Reserve Fund, as service is one of the pillars of Marquette and important to the student body," Stellpflug said.

Scott Seramur and Abraham Matthew

Candidates' platform

"If elected, we will petition the senate to increase the SOA funding from 33 percent of the total MUSG budget to at least 50 percent of the total MUSG budget," Seramur said.

"We want to accomplish putting the student back in student government by increasing transparency in MUSG, and we're going to accomplish this through interacting with student media publications and working to get MUTV to broadcast senate meetings," Seramur said.

"We want to keep the Reserve Fund at 30 percent of the total budget of MUSG, no more and no less . and if no plans are proposed to spend the money, then each undergraduate student will receive $2.50 on their Marquette Cash." Seramur said.

Joe Stopulos and Teresa Kaczmarek

Candidates' platform

"We want to establish a book exchange where students would buy books from students. . This would cut out the expensive middleman and save students money," Stopulos said.

"We will work to continue to increase the transparency of MUSG. Exciting things happen with MUSG, and the more students know about it, the more active they will become in it," Stopulos said.

"I would just love it if we could bring Phil Collins to Marquette for a concert," Stopulos said jokingly.