A quieter path for finding the divine

Peter Funk, a Benedictine Monk praying in the inner city Chicago left everything behind to become closer with God through prayer.,”

If Jesus appeared to you and asked you to leave everything, would you do it? If that meant everything and everyone you love – would you still do it?

The Rev. Peter Funk did, leaving everything behind to become closer with God through prayer as a Benedictine monk in Chicago.

The four tenets of Funk's speech Wednesday night in the Alumni Memorial Union elaborated on the monastic ideals regarding prayer, work, community and stability.

The event was sponsored by Marquette Knights of Columbus.

The monastery to which Funk belongs, the Monastery of the Holy Cross, is comprised of monks who focus on quiet to better hear the word of God, he said.

Funk recalled a time when, as a student at the University of Chicago, his roommates were out and he had the entire night to himself.

"I thought about calling a friend, but then I decided I would just spend this time with God," he said. "I thought again about playing my guitar and singing really loud but decided again to spend my time with God."

He said he decided he was just going to sit there until all thoughts went away – and they did.

That was what meditation really entails for the monastery, he said.

"We distance ourselves from our immediate thoughts and become open to hear God," Funk said.

Funk's monastery has only seven brothers, all of whom, he said, are extremely close to one another. The communal aspect of his monastery contrasts with the traditional Jesuit idea of community.

Funk's community is with his brothers, whereas the Jesuit community is larger, encompassing neighbors and people in need.

"I promised to live with the same men my entire life – as scandalous as that may sound," he said.

According to Funk, the monastic lifestyle leaves many people asking, "What do you guys do?"

He said he makes the joke that he 'bakes the bread' to explain his lifestyle.

"We try to give people God," he said, when explaining what the monastery does for the surrounding community.

The idea of living in a monastery may be archaic for many college students, but some believe that the ideas behind meditation are refreshing in a fast-paced lifestyle.

"I think the monastic lifestyle is very underrated in our society," said Josh Zimmerman, a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee who attended the speech at a professor's recommendation.

"People need to learn to slow down and take things as they come," he said.

John Tadelski, a junior in the College of Engineering, echoed Zimmerman's belief that people need to take time for meditation.

"I like how Funk discussed inward contemplation," he said.

Funk had recommendations for college students who want to live a more sedate lifestyle.

"Try to slow things down and learn to be more present at the moment," he said.

Although multitasking may be a virtue to some, Funk said it is better to just do one thing well than to do many things half-heartedly.

If students would like to be closer to God, Funk said, the answer doesn't have to be complicated: "Turn off the TV and use the phone less often."