Bill would stop new drivers from using phones

Proposed legislation in Wisconsin would prohibit new drivers from using cell phones on the road.

The GDL Cell Phone Bill, authored by Rep. Jerry Petrowski (R-Marathon), was introduced Feb. 22.

The bill would work hand-in-hand with Wisconsin's Graduated Drivers' License program, according to Jason Bauknecht, legislative assistant for Petrowski. The GDL serves as a probationary license for new teenage drivers in the state.

"During the nine months of the GDL period, among other things like not being able to drive at night, this bill prohibits the use of cell phones while driving," Bauknecht said.

The bill forbids use of both hand-held cell phones and headsets for new drivers, said Katie Scott, legislative assistant to Petrowski, who worked closely with the bill.

Scott said the legislation would not apply to drivers who first get their license at an older age.

"It only affects teen drivers," she said.

If a driver with a GDL was caught in violation of the proposed law, Scott said he or she would be fined $50 for the first offense and $100 for each following violation.

Lauren Peduzzi, spokeswoman for the National Transportation Safety Board, said the Board has been recommending such legislation since an accident in 2002.

"Our recommendations stem out of an accident that happened in Maryland," Peduzzi said. "A girl hadn't had her license too long, was talking on her cell phone and killed herself and five other people."

The Board issued a safety recommendation on June 13, 2003 in response to the accident. It urges states to "enact legislation to prohibit holders of learner's permits and intermediate licenses from using interactive wireless communication devices while driving."

But Scott also said there may be problems enforcing the proposed law. She said fines could most likely be issued only to young drivers who were pulled over for some other violation of the law, like speeding.

"I can't imagine them just pulling people over because they look young and are on a phone," she said.

The legislation is introduced just as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released its "Driver Cell Phone Use in 2004" report.

According to the report, 8 percent of drivers between the ages of 16 and 24 were using hand-held cell phones during a typical daytime moment on the road in 2004.

Drivers between 16 and 24 used cell phones while driving more than any other age group. About 5 percent of people between 25 and 69 drove while on cell phones, and only 1 percent of those over 69 did.

The report also found cell phone use among younger drivers is increasing. In 2002, only 5 percent of those between 16 and 24 talked on cell phones while driving.

Scott said the increasing amount of drivers being distracted by cell phone conversations was the major reason for introducing the GDL Cell Phone Bill.

"We introduced it last session because accidents among teen drivers were so high," she said. "There were a lot of studies showing teen drivers weren't working on their skills."

The previous bill got stuck in the Senate last session, Scott said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's study reported as of 2004, New York and New Jersey have laws that prohibit hand-held cell phone use for all drivers.

For now, Scott said the bill targeting new drivers is a good start.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Mar. 10 2005.