Say ‘Hollow’ to new sketch troupe

In today's world, people who act crass and vulgar aren't typically considered smart, while smart people don't typically act in a crass or vulgar manner. Rarely if ever is there any overlap.

Perhaps the lone exception to this fairly fundamental yet ever so vital social guideline comes in the vein of comedy.

It has long been a rule that many otherwise indecent or rude acts can often times be forgiven if there is some sort of laughter that can be derived from them. Take it or leave it, it's the truth, otherwise there's no way "Jackass" would have lasted as long as it did.

Comedy Central's latest import from overseas, a motley crew of four zany, irreverent Brits called "The Hollow Men," draw comic inspiration from cerebral yet obtuse places. Their ability to mesh wit and intellect with topics as left of center as human antique shops and a soda with a "monkey spunk activator" will likely strike a chord with the purest of comedy geeks, or really just anyone looking for laughter in the dark side of life.

Featuring Sam Spedding, David Armand, Rupert Russell and Nick Tanner, "The Hollow Men" is sketch comedy that draws from the madcap wackiness of "Monty Python," the transvestite tendencies of "Kids in the Hall" and the sharp social commentary of "Saturday Night Live," allowing for a brand of comedy with a steep sense of history that covers all its bases. Some sketches work, such as the idea of casual Friday at an illegal prostitute ring, whereas a skit at a high school reunion where no one remembers anybody plays out well as a premise, but comes off as an ill fated Abbott and Costello routine. Still the troupe's complete willingness to go out on a limb and try anything in the end makes it winning.

The show might owe a lot to its long-standing comic ancestry, but there's hardly a stale moment to be found. Fortunately the "Men" have enough foresight to incorporate their own flair into their work, resulting in comedy that's aware of its roots without resting to firmly on well tread comic soil. Make no mistake about it, this is humor for the MTV generation, sketch comedy with a short attention span that wastes little time getting to the laughs. Many of the bits barely hit a minute, and those that do barely reach the three minute mark. Yet this rapid fire delivery works well in complementing and highlighting the troupe's cutting, fast lane approach to their humor.

With "Saturday Night Live" running on empty and few suitable alternatives to turn to in its place, "The Hollow Men" may find themselves in a prized position of being the next big thing in sketch comedy. Taking the throne will take endless energy and consistent momentum, but judging from their first two episodes, these lads shouldn't find any problem going the distance.

Grade: AB

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Mar. 10 2005.