New HIV cases reach record high levels

The number of people infected with HIV is on the rise in Wisconsin, according to a study released by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family services.

The study says new reported HIV cases in Wisconsin are at their highest levels since 1997 and are on the rise. In 2003, 364 new HIV cases were reported. That number jumped to 417 – a 14.7 percent increase – in 2004.

The numbers are surprising and a bit troubling, according to Kate Venne, public affairs manager for the Aids Resource Center of Wisconsin.

"It's always a surprise when you see numbers like that, but it's also troubling because it means that we need more resources to help those infected both physically and mentally," Venne said.

The problems have recently been compounded when the Aurora Health Clinic closed its HIV clinic, according to Venne.

Venne said increased numbers of HIV cases are due, in part, to the younger generation "letting their guard down" about the dangers of HIV and AIDS.

The AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin is taking several steps to help prevent further increases including clean needle exchanges, aggressively discussing the benefits of abstinence and working with teachers to ensure accurate HIV information is being conveyed to students in the classroom.

Many people who are HIV positive do not even know they are affected, according to Karen Ivantic-Doucette, an assistant professor in the College of Nursing who teaches AIDS in Society. Symptoms may take years to manifest.

HIV can lead to what are referred to as "opportunistic infections," which are infections that occur after an affected person's immune system becomes weakened by the HIV virus. There are new medications to help reduce infections but they have drawbacks, according to Ivantic-Doucette.

"There are new medications but they have horrible side effects, they need to be taken every day and can cost upwards of $15,000 per year," Ivantic-Doucette said.

She said the cost factor is a huge problem because a growing number of teens and young adults are contracting HIV and do not have the types of jobs or insurance to pay for these medications.

Another disturbing trend beginning to surface is people who are aware they are HIV positive but continue to take part in activities that put others at risk.

"People who know that they are affected are not scared anymore. They sometimes revert to their old habits with very little regard for the consequences," Ivantic-Doucette said.

Ivantic-Doucette said the solution to these types of problems lies in awareness.

"This disease now affects everyone, and people know too little. Unless media attention and overall awareness increase, it will be hard to stop the trend," she said.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on March 31 2005.