Students have trouble with health guides

A low number of Americans, including those of college age, following all government health guidelines has left some wondering if the standards are too high.

A new study conducted by Mathew Reeves, assistant professor of epidemiology at Michigan State University, found only 3 percent of the adult population follows each of the four major government health recommendations: not smoking, maintaining a healthy weight, eating at least five servings of fruits and vegetables per day and exercising for 30 minutes daily.

The overall percentage of the population between ages 18 and 24 who adhered to all criteria was not computed, but Reeves said it would be similar to the national average.

"There's a little more smoking at that age, but a little less obesity because you haven't had time to pack on the pounds," Reeves said.

Although a small percentage of the population follows all health guidelines, Reeves does not think government health standards are too high.

"Certainly they are standards that are not just going to happen without making a conscious effort," he said. "But I do think they are achievable."

Reeves said the benchmarks are not being reached because people do not recognize the value of attaining them. By following the recommendations, people live six to 10 years longer, lower their risk of heart disease and incur fewer medical costs, he said.

But some college students disagree, saying the criteria are difficult for "normal" people to meet.

Julie Riederer, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she meets two of the four guidelines: she does not smoke and she maintains a healthy weight. She said all the standards set by the government are too high.

"Especially eating five servings of fruits and veggies," Riederer said. "I think that's kind of ridiculous."

Most college-age people seem to agree with Riederer. According to Reeves' study, only 22 percent of adults between 18 and 24 eat the recommended amount of these foods.

The new food pyramid introduced by the U.S. Department of Agriculture April 19 could help college students better meet this recommendation, according to Barb Troy, adjunct assistant professor of biomedical sciences and nutrition expert.

"The advantage of the new pyramid is it does try to help you do a little more with goal-setting," she said. "If somebody's going to be changing habits over the years, it's going to be in slow steps."

Troy agrees with Reeves that the recommendations are not too high. She said the difficulties people have following to them may lie in their attempts to change too much too fast.

"It doesn't have to be cold turkey. The whole big thing seems overwhelming. The best thing is to chip away at it little by little," Troy said.

Some college students are able to lay off smoking, keep a healthy weight, eat their fruits and vegetables and exercise regularly. Jessica Mietzner, freshman in the College of Business, says she does all four.

"I think it's doable," she said.

Reeves said he was surprised that only 3 percent of Americans found meeting the criteria "doable." He said he expected the number to be low, but closer to 10 or 15.

Though 97 percent of the population seems to find government health standards too high, Reeves hopes they begin to take greater steps in trying to achieve them.

"People need to be educated about the strong health benefits of doing this," he said.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on May 2 2005.