Unbeaten squad extends streak

Professional soccer leagues in Europe do not play overtime. A tied game after 90 minutes remains a draw.

College soccer games in the U.S. play two 10-minute sudden death overtime periods. The Marquette women's soccer team apparently enjoys the rule.

"We're doing everything we need to do to win the game," said head coach Markus Roeders. "It's just taking us a little longer to get it done."

After a 110-minute stalemate against Wisconsin-Milwaukee Sept. 7, Marquette (6-0-1) won a pair of overtime games last weekend at the Hoosier Classic in Bloomington, Ind.

Marquette, ranked as high as No. 14 in the country by Soccer America, allowed just one goal in its three overtime games in five days and still finds itself unbeaten seven matches into the season.

"We just kind of turn it on in overtime," said senior midfielder Sarah Uyenishi. "We know it's just one goal and then it's over."

Uyenishi ended Sunday's game against Miami (Fla.) with the only goal of the game in the eighth minute of overtime. Freshman defender Katie Kelly scored the match-winning goal nine minutes into overtime Friday on a 30-yard free kick in a 2-1 victory against Xavier.

And the charmed season continues.

Marquette has won all six of its victories by a single goal, three of which came in overtime. The close margins of victory have kept the team from becoming complacent during its unbeaten streak.

"We're aware that every game will be a tough game," Uyenishi said. "We know we can win every game without being overconfident."

Senior defender Heather Goranson, who was named the Hoosier Classic's most valuable player, added: "We're doing a fairly decent job of keeping ourselves in check."

The Marquette defense could be forgiven for possessing an excess of confidence at the moment. Not only has the team surrendered just three goals in its first seven games, but defenders have also been at the heart of game-winning goals.

Kelly served a free kick across the goalmouth that Miami failed to clear on a hot afternoon Sunday. Junior defender Michelle Pitzl fired a shot that the Miami goalkeeper could only parry. Uyenishi pounced on the rebound to clinch the victory and goalkeeper Laura Boyer's fourth shutout of the season.

Boyer saved three shots from Miami, which had defeated host Indiana Friday night and had previously beaten then-nationally ranked Princeton 3-0.

Friday's game against Xavier should have been an easier task, according to Uyenishi and Roeders.

"We were a bit disappointed that we didn't put it away in regulation," Uyenishi said.

"We didn't play up to the level we can," Roeders added. But "when we get into overtime, this team has a lot of resilience."

Marquette grabbed the lead late in the first half through an opportunistic goal from junior forward Alison Loughrin. Freshman midfielder Aubrey Trembly gathered the ball after a Marquette corner kick in the 41st minute and passed it in between Loughrin and Xavier goalkeeper Ashley Donaldson. Loughrin challenged the keeper and was rewarded for her aggressiveness with the ball and an open net in which to shoot.

Xavier's Amber Silvis tied the game in the 68th minute.

Kelly, who has already become the team's long-ball free-kick specialist, showed off her shooting range for the second time this season. Those who witnessed her 40-yard blast against Northwestern Aug. 28 would have liked her chances of scoring from Friday's dead-ball situation in overtime.

Kelly then proved that the best offense is indeed a good defense when she noticed Donaldson off her line and lofted a shot into the top far corner of the net.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 13, 2005.