Pabst Mansion has artful history

Art is hard, and Captain Frederick Pabst would know. He died working in his photography studio in 1922, but not before acquiring some of the greatest 19th century masterpieces. Eighteen of his purchased paintings were recently recovered from a warehouse on the South Side of Milwaukee, and now 11 of those are rightfully returned to his mansion on West Wisconsin Avenue.

Though the paintings technically never left the possession of Pabst's extensive enterprises, some had to be bought for the first time since Pabst bought the art himself.

As most worthy endeavors transpire, this one was not accomplished without struggle.

John Eastberg, in-mansion senior historian and self-proclaimed historical detective, was invited to the storage facility to identify the paintings. After confirming their identity, he was not sure he would ever see them again, as the decision of the paintings' fate was that of the Pabst Brewery.

"(The mansion and brewery now) simply share a name," Executive Director Dawn Hourigan said. "We couldn't just tell them we needed the paintings back."

Only after receiving a catalogue, Eastberg learned that Sotheby's in New York was auctioning the pieces. A visit to New York was then in order for Eastberg, Hourigan and two benefactors, John and Kathryn Burke, who made the purchases possible. Once at the auction, they did not bid on all of the pieces because a copyist painted some and two were sold at an earlier auction.

The first major painting Pabst procured began his collection of depictions of the American West, American Indians figures and nautical themes. "The Return of Columbus in Chains" by Emanuel Leutze shows the explorer shackled on a ship heading to Spain for persecution.

The five-by-eight foot painting now hangs "in dappled sunlight" for the first time in years, according to Eastberg. Scaffolding was erected to house the painting, which still remains in its original hefty golden frame, on the aged walls. The painting sold for $3,500 at auction, but tens of thousands of dollars are still needed to clean the yellowed, darkened painting.

"The conservation of paintings is an ongoing dilemma in museums everywhere," Hourigan said. "If anything is close to impossible, this is it."

An original piece to the mansion, "Abschied von der Heimat (Farewell to the Homeland)," is another substantial painting that Pabst assumedly bought because he sympathized with the young, emotionally filled young faces on the ship.

"(Captain Pabst) came to America when he was 12. When he came over, he recognized he was leaving all he knew behind," said mansion curator Jodi Rich. "At the time he thought he was never going to be home again."

Eastberg was intent on returning this 150-pound personal piece for the captain to its original position and he succeeded.

Another rescued piece was a mural that previously hung over the captain's desk. "Pabst brought to the East" by Hermann Michalowski, depicts childlike figures drinking beer and handling poached fur.

"Lots of women and children were used to advertise tonics back then, especially during the prohibition," Hourigan explained.

Ironically, the companion piece to this mural hangs in the Miller Brewery, even though both pieces had previously left Milwaukee to be displayed in one of Pabst's Washington state plants during the height of his fame.

Most of the paintings' origins are varied, which makes the find more exceptional. Paintings initially hung in the mansion, the Pabst Brewing Company offices and the Milwaukee Athletic Club. Some pieces were lost from the mansion after the Roman Catholic Archdiocese, which owned the house for a time, sold the property to developers in 1974. The brewery is still closed, and the pieces disappeared from the athletic club under "a black cloud of intrigue and mystery," Hourigan said.

In another twist of irony, some of the larger pieces could not fit in the mansion because of Pabst's extensive collection. Three of the 11 paintings are on long-term loan to the athletic club, including "Dedication of the Fountain" by Ernst Berger, which was on display for more than 65 years on the landing of the club's grand staircase.

All of these reasons are cause for an official celebration of the return of the paintings, slated for tonight. The celebration is also "in order to honor our donors who made the whole activities possible in a big, grandiose way," Hourigan said.

As previously blank walls have acquiesced to large pieces of art, "the visual impact has been stunning," Hourigan said. "We've gotten great feedback from our regular visitors."

Other artwork themes are apparent in the mansion and are reminiscent of the time. A painting of sheep is displayed along the staircase and a cow painting is exhibited near the bedrooms on the second floor.

"It was common practice for men of wealth to have depictions of livestock at the time," Hourigan said. "It was a sign of job stability."

Not surprisingly, family photographs are also sprinkled around the mansion.

As for the other seven paintings? They were purchased by specific artists' collectors. Spoken like a true historical art enthusiast, Eastberg said, "I don't mind. At least they're being appreciated."

The official celebration of the return of the paintings will be held October 6 from 6-8 p.m. at the mansion. A suggested $10 donation includes hors d'ourvres and champagne.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on October 6, 2005.