No ‘exit’ in U.S. sight

Newsflash: The Bush administration declared a moral war on protesters of the Iraq war last week as Vice President Cheney kicked off a campaign to call critics of the war in Iraq, including politicians who voted in favor of authorizing the use of aggression in Iraq, "irresponsible" for turning their backs and opposing the war. Cheney said there was bipartisan agreement based on intelligence resources available to all who voted on the authorization. Cheney also said Saddam Hussein was a threat to our country and has a history of weapons of mass destruction programs.

I got an e-mail last week from a Democratic U.S. Congressman. I have always thought of myself as a Democrat, but the partisan animosity that I have been witnessing lately has me reeling.

I was channel cruising last night during a rare appearance in front of the boob tube and I saw a politician red in the face, yelling at other politicians. He was a Democrat — the same one that sent me that e-mail last week. He is rallying other Democrats and those affiliated with them through citizen groups, using an e-mail petition to gather support for an effort to immediately withdraw from Viet… I mean Iraq.

I have been informed that this immediate withdrawal is impossible. We need more troops over there in order to isolate the battlefield, say some, even those opposed to the purpose of this war. We need an exit strategy, say others. You logically and practically cannot leave the Iraqi government by itself right now, because the insurgents are currently a stronger military force. So, exit strategy, give the troops some time to build a capable Iraq then get them out of there — sounds good. Let's ask our government leaders what's up.

Back to the bitterness both parties are putting in each other's mouths. The Democrats are attempting the impossible: Trying to drop everything and come home. The Republicans are doing what I thought was impossible: Continuing a war that was not appropriately justified due to a lack of responsibility on account of the current administration. I keep seeing and hearing that the White House ignored information first from Joseph Wilson, then Britain saying CIA intelligence was not clear enough to justify going to war. That does not seem responsible, Mr. Bush.

I resent you telling me that my non-partisan examination (a.k.a my critique) of the case you made to go to war is irresponsible. I'm just trying to be a responsible citizen. Maybe not a Republican. Maybe not a Democrat. But certainly not an irresponsible, rapacious party supporter. I want my friends to come home; too many people are dying over there. Your approval rating is 37 percent, the worst ever for a second-term president. A mere 35 percent of the population supports your handling of the war. I know you didn't listen to Joseph Wilson or British intelligence before this war, but listen to your country now. Show some responsibility and respect the voice of the United States.