MU Students must invest in ‘green power’

As a Jesuit institution, Marquette must actively pursue justice and righteousness in the world. What better way to do this than to generate funds to show more respect to the air we breath and the ground we tread, while at the same time preserving the lives of both humans and animals alike?

The Miller Brewing Company's only motto is "Live Responsibly." Yet they are adhering to it in a broader context than just preventing drinking and driving, with a large monthly investment in "green power," or renewable energy sources. Marquette, on the other hand, must "develop leadership expressed in service to others," along with "pursue for … the common benefit of the human community," according to its mission statement. I'd like to think we are trying as hard to serve the human community and live responsibly as Milwaukee's favorite beer company. And it's not that hard. One dollar from each Marquette student per semester would make us the largest renewable energy purchaser in the State of Wisconsin, surpassing UW-Oshkosh's purchase of 960,000 kWh/year. This would power 30 percent of the AMU. If you think that sounds weak, donate more.

You've heard the tree-hugging rhetoric. "No more dependence on foreign oil;" "Trade in your gas-guzzling Ford Excursion for a fuel-efficient, euro-cool Mini Cooper;" "Stop Bush from drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge." Whether or not you buy into such attractive (or disgusting, depending mainly on your location on the environmental bias spectrum) maxims, it is important for us all to look closer at our energy consumption habits. Only then will we realize how many gallons of gasoline we burn as we chug along to school or places of employment each morning…and the countless hours we walk around with white iPod cords dangling from our ears. I bet you the money in my wallet it's a lot, because I'm a recovering energy-monger myself. The rub is, I believe we need to reform the despicable use of limited natural resources that our society has become so accustomed to. I believe in renewable energy investment. So do others, namely area landmarks like Miller Brewing Company, Alterra Coffee and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal. On the surface, it looks as though these huge business endeavors have nothing to gain, financially speaking, from investing in renewable energy sources. Contrary to this capitalistic belief, each of them has invested in WE Energy's Green Power program, through which a percentage of each energy bill they pay is channeled to WE's alternative energy development sector. Think wind turbines, paper waste energy and hydro power.

Even if you "don't care" about attempting to end the destruction of entire habitats, including the eventual collapse of ours, buy a $2 green Power bracelet. Although we obviously all care deeply about cancer research, you know deep inside you wanted to look like a hipster/philanthropist, Lance Armstrong, when you bought your yellow LiveStrong band. Now you can get a green one too, as well as help Marquette take a leading role among Midwest institutions by investing in the longevity of life on Earth. If a beer producer can do it, a Jesuit university can. Marquette's Website notes excellence, faith, leadership and service as the pillars of our school's mission. Each clearly supports the efforts of this week's GreenPower campaign, sponsored by the Students for an Environmentally Active Campus organization. Ken Lainback, speaking on behalf of Milwaukee's Urban Ecology Center, who also spends extra cash on green power each month, says "We're doing it because it's the right thing to do. Not everybody works under that criteria, because they want to do what's profitable. That's not what this is about. Really, it's an altruism." Selfless concern for others, sounds good. If you want to help out, look for SEAC in the AMU Monday through Friday 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. It's only logical to get involved with the transition to renewable energy sources before it's too late.

David Streier is sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Feb. 24 2005.