Groban raises voice, audience’s spirit

If you haven't heard of Josh Groban, you might be sitting in the dark or aren't into his type of music — a mixture of classical opera and modern pop rock.

However, it's about time you got wind of him. Groban seems to be everywhere, from the Olympics, to episodes of the now defunct "Ally McBeal," to the Oscars this coming Sunday, to the U.S. Cellular Arena last Saturday for a concert.

The night began with a few songs from jazz trumpeter Chris Botti — which was a surprising yet somewhat boring opening. He mostly played classic, romantic songs like the title track from his newest CD "When I Fall In Love" and "The Look of Love."

Botti turned "My Funny Valentine" into a real crowd pleaser when he hopped off the stage to serenade a girl in one of the first few rows.

Botti was good at what he did, but his lead guitarist's antics were distracting. He seemed to be seizing across the stage much of the time with his guitar held way too high on his body.

This instrumental, slow, music would be great for a quiet night at home, but when you are trying to be hyped for a concert, it's completely wrong.

Groban was onstage quickly after Botti's set was done. He brought along the wonderfully talented Lucia Micarelli, a supreme violinist and concertmaster, a jam band and a small orchestra. Micarelli got to play a solo song during off her first album, entitled "Nocturn/Bohemian Rhapsody," which includes part of the infamous Queen song.

Groban sang songs from both of his studio albums, however he did have a bit of trouble with his voice at certain parts during the night. When he would try to reach one note in a certain key, he would flounder. He would address the issue with his voice later in the night by joking about the frog in his throat. He gave the audience a few choices, lip-syncing, canceling or continuing and the vote was unanimous for the last choice.

Groban did make light of the situation by saying if the frog popped out, the front few rows should beware. If the frog was caught, he suggested selling it on eBay for lots and lots of money, but give it all to charity. How humble and giving.

Highlights of the show included "Remember When It Rained" which he sang to perfection with no trouble from the frog, "Caruso" an Italian song where the screen behind him had the verses translated on it and "My December" which is a classical cover of the Linkin Park song.

Groban also showed how much musical talent he possesses by not only being able to sing, but by playing the piano parts for several songs and running to the drum set for another.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel jumped onto the "Grobanite" bandwagon for its Saturday issue as well: they turned Groban into a paper doll, which was both funny and creepy at the same time. By the time the show rolled along, a crazed fan had already plastered the different "Joshes" onto a t-shirt and gave it to Groban as a gift which he had to show off. "There's half-naked me" along with five other dolls, Groban's favorite being "Pirate Josh."

Besides the frog, Groban put on an amazing show to awestruck fan girls and older fans alike.

Grade: A

Chris Botti's "When I Fall In Love," Lucia Micarelli's ""Music from a Farther Room" and all of Josh Groban's CDs, including his newest "Live from the Greek" are available in stores now. Groban will be appearing this Sunday on the 77th Annual Academy Awards in singing his Oscar nominated song "Believe" from "Polar Express."

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Feb. 24 2005.