New host will stay up ‘Late’

There's something every late night talk show host needs in order to last, particularly if they live in the shadow of more visible hosts like Jay Leno and David Letterman.

If a host has that certain mysterious quality, roughly the ability to relate to an audience on the audience's own terms without appearing forced, unhumorous or condescending, the audience will remember them long after they retire. Johnny Carson is an example of the lovable television host that lived on past both his retirement and his recent death.

If a host lacks this quality, they can find themselves forgotten and unwatched, much like Carson Daly or Jimmy Kimmel. There is seldom, if ever, middle ground.

Craig Ferguson, Craig Kilborn's replacement for CBS's "Late Late Show," may have what it takes to run with the elites. He just has to survive the first year on the air.

The two elements that any late night talk show host can be evaluated for, the make-or-break opening monologue and the more relaxed period of celebrity interviews and musical guests, are both above average performances in Ferguson's case.

His monologue delivery is a little stilted, but the majority of Ferguson's background is in screen acting, so a little awkwardness is to be expected in his transition to a more free-form genre. His punchlines run the gamut from downright goofy to the standard late-night fare, which typically is a mixture of mockery and irreverence towards popular culture.

The thing that could hold viewer's attention is the heaping spoonful of affable Scottish charm that saturates every punchline and every phrase. It's almost enough to make the average viewer wonder if Ferguson emphasizes his accent just to charm the pants off his audience. For example, the audience is frequently berated for behaving like "cheeky little monkees."

Ferguson's easy-going attitude and Scottish flavor help carry the monologue's sometimes flat jokes and awkward skits.

Where Ferguson excells is in the interview. In his casual interaction with a range of minor celebrities —this isn't Letterman, Leno or even Conan, after all — lies the medicine for suspicions about Ferguson's possible accent disengenuity. Not only is he able to relate easily to whichever individual is seated across from him in the chair, he's able to make them appear relaxed, whether it's Neal McDonough of NBC's "Medical Investigation" or the washed-up 80's metal group "Night Ranger."

Night Ranger is indicative of something else that may plague Ferguson through his first year on the air. How to get people to watch with B-list celebrities like Neal McDonough and washed-up musical guests like Night Ranger?

The answer: Scottish charm and better writing. If you can't transcend what the studio feeds you, you won't stand a fighting chance in the American television market.

While Ferguson flounders through the B-list scrap celebrities in his first year on the air, he should keep his eyes on the prize.

Grade: B

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Feb. 10 2005.,”Brian O'Connor”