Cathedral Square home to eatery of myth

A new restaurant with a rare culinary theme recently opened not far from campus.

Los Mitos, which means "The Myths" in Spanish, blends Latin American cuisine, specifically Argentinean, with a Californian twist.

The twist comes from Persia-born head chef and owner Michael Feker's study at the California Culinary Academy. The mixture of the Californian cooking with other cultures seems to work with the success of Feker's other restaurant, Il Mito, 605 W. Virginia St., which offers a mix of Italian and Californian fare.

Il Mito and Los Mitos "are different in appearance, cuisine and atmosphere," Feker said. "If one doesn't have something, the other will.

"With Los Mitos, I was going after a certain atmosphere. The atmosphere is warm, comforting and cozy. It will grab you. Walk in the doors, the set up, the woodwork and the furniture — which I helped with — all will grab you."

"The atmosphere is business casual," said Hakan Hare, Los Mitos' head waiter. "It's welcoming and cozy. No one needs to be in tuxes or in ties, even on Friday and Saturday."

Feker promises Los Mitos, which occupies the space vacated by Ed Debevic's, is the place for people to frequent regularly or is perfect for special nights out.

It's the type of restaurant people downtown are looking for, Hare said.

"We have great drinks, great prices and we are able to validate parking," Feker said. "On a Friday night (people) can go out, eat, drink, walk around Cathedral Square and get validated parking."

However, what really matters is the menu and Los Mitos' can be described as eclectic. It reaches a large spectrum of meats, from lamb to crab to beef. The menu is also vegetarian-friendly with different sides, salads and pastas.

"For lunch, the most popular foods are our tortas, which are sandwiches." Hare said. "We have a club torta, lamb torta, for meat lovers we have beef torta and pork torta. (There's a) little bit of everything for everyone. For dinner our pizzas are popular and so are our ribs."

Feker said the restaurant offers plenty to its customers for reasonable prices.

The "prices are like a fast food place, but we are a white tablecloth restaurant," Feker said. "Things on the menu start from $4, things like the pizzas, the pastas and the appetizers. The most expensive item is $24, a half of Beef Tenderloin, a Black Angus, which I wouldn't eat on a regular basis."

The pizzas on the menu are unique to Los Mitos because they are grilled rather than baked, Feker said. The crust is made with whole wheat that is aged for two days, making it really crispy.

"On any menu, I make sure customers can relate to everything made." Feker said. "College students now are capable of knowing about food and can choose what they find palatable."

Hare said the restaurant also offers plenty of drinks with a South American feel.

Feker said he wants everyone who comes into Los Mitos to be treated like a star and have a wonderful dining experience.

"Customers who go out want some place trendy that has a backbone," he said. "Many places are trendy, but don't have a backbone. (Los Mitos achieves this) with our food and service."

Los Mitos is located at 780 N. Jefferson St. More information is available by calling 271-1414 or at www.losmitos.com.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Jan. 20 2005.