Therefore ‘I Am’

Michael Tolcher learned that a change in career direction is not an impossible mission.

"This whole year been, in that cliché sense, has been a dream come true," Tolcher said of his up-and-coming musical career.

Most athletes share a common Olympic dream. Tolcher was no different. The Georgia native aspired to be an Olympic runner and ran track for Georgia Tech to get to his dream.

After "several injuries with my feet and legs it was clearly time to quit," Tolcher said. "It was a childhood dream and I pursued it all the way to college."

Tolcher turned to music as his next career move. But what would make a former athlete get into the music scene?

"I've always been interested in music," Tolcher said. "It's always been a big part of my life and I decided to do it all time in '96."

1996 was the year of the Atlanta Summer Olympics. He got the chance to perform in his home state as a singer rather than an athlete. His talent also brought him to perform at the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary where his father was the prison's chaplain.

There he met activist and inmate Dr. Mutulu Shakur, the late rapper Tupac Shakur's father.

Mutulu "and I are friends and he's encouraged me for the last four years to go after this music dream, to expose my insides to the people," Tolcher said.

The result is Tolcher's debut album, I Am, which he describes as "grooving, melodic and with a heart felt lyrical content."

The first single, "Mission Responsible," is a song about making choices, taking a stand and discovering something to feel passionately about. "Be part of your own decision/See your future with tunnel vision/Take a chance if you want to survive."

"That song is the bread and butter of my set since '98," Tolcher said. "To me it's the oldest song on the record and a clear choice. It represents several facets of my style."

Tolcher's favorite song "kinda changes all the time, 'Sooner or Later' is my answer for the day." And why not? "Sooner or Later" mixes guitar pop with a little bit of rock and pushes the thought of someday something will happen, someday we will do something.

Tolcher's musical style features a large range, from R&B, indie-pop, rock and soul. Most of his songs make the listener want to move their body, whether foot tapping, head bobbing, or all out dancing, to the unforgettable beats. The lyrical content is superior and thought-provoking.

For a new artist, Tolcher has opened for a number of recognizable musicians, like Michelle Branch, Hanson, Crosby, Stills & Nash and Maroon 5. Tonight he opens for Gavin DeGraw at Marquette's Varsity Theatre.

"Amazing. Every one of those tours was just amazing," he said.

With his performance he hopes to have, "Just some good ol'fashioned fun, make (the audience) wanna dance and hopefully get their attention and have them wondering what will come next."

Tolcher has a few things going on that fans can look forward to. The American Lung Association released a new television Public Service Announcement, entitled One Breath, featuring Tolcher and "Mission Responsible." He also will be continuing his tour with DeGraw and a few extra shows with Sister Hazel.

"I'm looking forward to the show at Marquette, getting back on tour," Tolcher said. "(I'm) inviting everyone to come out and get down with us."

Michael Tolcher opens for Gavin DeGraw at The Varisty Theatre on Marquette's campus. The show starts at 8 p.m. More information is available at musg.mu.edu/concerts.html.