Student supports Matt Flynn for Congress

Today there is a primary election for the 4th Congressional District. Since this district includes all of Milwaukee, it is almost certain that the winner of the Democratic primary will go on to represent Milwaukee in Congress.

Out of a field of three good, well-qualified candidates, Matt Flynn stands out as the one best suited to effectively represent Milwaukee's diverse interests and concerns. Flynn is one of 11 children. His father was a professor for 34 years at various universities — including the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee — and his mother worked for the U.S. Postal Service.

After high school, Flynn attended Yale University on a scholarship. After graduating, he joined the Navy, and — following his honorable discharge — attended the University of Wisconsin Law School on the G.I. Bill.

Flynn speaks Spanish fluently and has lived in the Milwaukee community his entire life. He shares local values such as hard work, decency and a commitment to the family. He also understands the problems that affect all segments of our community.

While an attorney by trade, Flynn has stayed active in politics throughout his career. He has served as chair of the Wisconsin Democratic Party, co-chair of Sen. John Kerry's (D-Mass.) presidential campaign in Wisconsin and chair of Gov. Doyle's Judicial Selection Committee.

Flynn has garnered key endorsements from retiring 4th Congressional Rep. Jerry Kleczka (D-Wis.) and Milwaukee's Shepard Express newspaper. This is most likely due to his strong commitment to and thorough knowledge of the issues that most affect our community.

Flynn supports a proposed 10 percent across-the-board tax break for businesses on domestically-produced income. That is a tax break for companies that keep jobs in the United States. He also supports tax incentives for companies that produce energy-efficient goods, a move that would greatly benefit Milwaukee's many innovation leaders.

In Congress, Flynn would propose the expansion of job training programs including tuition reimbursement, work stipends and grant funding. He would also expand regional training partnerships that help to connect skilled workers with available jobs throughout their region. Flynn also strongly supports enforcing our trade agreements so that American workers are no longer asked to compete on an unfair playing field.

Health care is another issue that greatly concerns Flynn. He supports real Medicare reform that works for the people rather than just for the health care industry. He would allow the importation of cheaper prescription drugs from Canada and would further reduce the cost of prescriptions by allowing the massive market power of the federal government to be used in bargaining for lower prices.

Flynn would include catastrophic health coverage under Medicare, thereby reducing the burden on employers and creating an incentive for more job creation. Finally, he supports allowing businesses to join the Federal Employee's Health Benefits Program, which would give each of us the same health coverage he'll be getting as a member of Congress.

The son of an educator, Flynn knows well the importance of education. In Congress, he would push for reforms to the greatly flawed No Child Left Behind program, so that it is adequately funded and can finally live up to its name. He knows that smaller class sizes result in better education, and will be a firm proponent of them.

Also, realizing that a child's educational outlook begins before he or she gets to school, Flynn is a strong supporter of Head Start and Early Start. These programs give parents and children the tools they need in the pre-school years, so that when classes begin, students are ready to learn and parents know how to support them.

These are just a few of the issues Flynn believes in passionately. Although he will certainly be in the minority in Congress, he has the drive and also the ability to reach across the aisle that is required to get things done. Flynn will represent us well, but first he needs you to take a short walk to the polls and cast your vote. Please send Matt Flynn to the U.S. Congress.

Erdman is a senior political science major.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.