Milwaukin’ Around

In college, we may feel as though we are part of the academic elite. However, not enough of us recall the basic skills we learned back in elementary school. Things like how to politely interact with our peers, how to wait our turn in line and how to take care of others.

The food pyramid was another important thing we learned. It was our guide to a well-balanced diet. With grains acting as a sturdy foundation, the pyramid went up to fruits and veggies, dairy and meat and all of Little Debbie's best stuff at the pinnacle.

However, with "carb" as the newest four-letter word in our vocabulary, the once golden pyramid has been pushed to the wayside. Instead of a hardy base of breads and pastas, we have animal products and sugar-free jello.

The Atkins Diet is everywhere. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sick of all these commercials for low-carb milk and low-carb yogurt. I swear, if marketers thought we'd fall for it, they would be bottling low-carb water faster than you could say "gullible."

Though annoyance is a big enough reason for me to shun the diet, I can understand the enthusiasm for Atkins. Just about everyone knows someone who has lost weight on it. Also, it shouldn't go unnoticed that any diet which allows its participants to ingest five hamburger patties every day is a diet that will find favor anywhere — especially here in the proud land of sausage and cheese.

But still it seemed dangerous to me. In pursuit of information, I went to www.atkinsdietalert.org where I read that a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet can lead to increased risks of osteoporosis, impaired kidney function, heart disease, color cancer and a myriad of less severe afflictions like headaches, muscle cramps and bad breath.

The body needs more than high fat and high protein. It needs fuel and energy — we need carbohydrates. After an extended period of time on the meaty Atkins Diet, all the beef, bacon and pork will undoubtedly affect one's cardiovascular system. Then squeezing into a smaller pant size won't seem nearly as important. Atkins is the ultimate quick fix. It's easier than getting your butt to the gym or eating a well-balanced diet that includes vegetables, but that doesn't mean it's going to solve all your problems.

This is a matter we should all take to heart (pun fully intended). The next time your aunt tells you she lost another five pounds on Atkins, shove a cookie in her mouth and tell her you're saving her life.