Student overflows with ‘pride’ in Marquette

I'm so proud and full of hope to be at Marquette because of people like Patti Murphy. Reading her Nov. 9 column "Gay marriage defended in wake of election," was inspiring. I'm so glad to see Murphy — and those who agree with her stand on same-sex marriage — would support my decision to marry one of my best friends.

We've been extremely good friends for over 20 years and are perpetually single. Neither of us is gay, but we would love to share all the benefits of a married couple. I know I'd love to be covered under his insurance because I cannot afford it. He is an independent business owner and is doing quite well for himself. Living with him as his partner would allow me so many more benefits as I continue my education, until such point where I become a meaningful financial contributor to the partnership. We have a bond that neither time nor distance could break nor diminish, so no one can challenge our non-gay, same-sex marriage as not being about love. We do love each other. However, this move would take a lot of courage.

There is another reason why I'm so lucky to be part of the Marquette community. I am inspired by those responsible for the schedule of the men's basketball team. In looking ahead at the upcoming season that is to prepare them for the Big East, I am heartened to see them square off against such imposing forces as Division III powerhouse University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point and Division II mega-teams like Lewis University, Michigan's Oakland University and South Dakota State. Other awesome games will include basketball powerhouses like Coppin State, Binghamton, Kent State, Sam Houston State and Southern Florida University.

With as difficult a schedule as this, I can see why the administration would opt to give Marquette fans and the Milwaukee community such meaningful games like this instead of opting for a boring game against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, a contest that would barely fill my old high school's gym, let alone the Al or the Bradley Center.

Hats off to those brave individuals fighting for same-sex marriage for me and my non-gay friend and to the basketball team for providing me with games at the absolute highest level of the game in prep for the Big East. We are Marquette!

Wichgers is a junior history major.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.