Students pick accounting as new favorite

Children often aspire to be doctors, teachers, police officers and ballerinas. According to recent findings, accountants may someday be added to the list.

The National Association of Colleges and Employers' Job Outlook 2005 survey found accounting to be the most in-demand college major.

Andrea Koncz, employment information manager with the National Association of Colleges and Employers, said the organization conducted the survey in August and September by asking employers throughout the nation that are affiliated with the organization which majors they planned to hire in upcoming years.

"Accounting is usually in the top 10, but this year it was No. 1 on the list," she said.

Accountingweb.com, an independent news source for accountants, also found evidence of an increase in the demand for accountants.

Kelly Platt, spokeswoman for the organization, said she can see the number of students who go into accounting as a profession increasing. She said specialization within the field will play a part in creating more job opportunities for accountants.

"College graduates may start focusing on certain areas in accounting," Platt said. She said demand for accounting majors with such areas of expertise could mean an increase in salaries.

The accounting major's growing popularity is reflected at Marquette.

Mike Akers, chair of the accounting department, said he has seen more interest in the program recently.

Accounting students typically declare accounting as their major by their junior year, he said.

"This year we saw an 11 to 12 percent increase in our first semester junior year accounting class," Akers said. Although some students taking the class could be from other majors, such as finance, he said it appears that accounting's popularity is increasing.

Jennifer Cheung, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, is an accounting major who thinks the major's newfound popularity is changing its prior reputation.

"Accounting majors now aren't the stereotypical, nerdy, pocket-protector kids," she said. "Some people do fit that old view, but most of them don't anymore."

While the face of accounting is changing, the reasons people choose to go into the field seem to have remained constant.

"There has always been a lot of flexibility with the accounting major," Akers said. "Just the knowledge of the accounting information is beneficial, even if you go into finance or human resources or marketing."

Kris Feavel, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration and an accounting major, said the flexibility is precisely the reason he chose to pursue accounting as a profession.

"I think the potential is really good and there are a lot of different jobs you can go into," he said.

Cheung said accounting offers a plethora of options upon graduation, but she also chose the major for the merits of the classes.

"Accounting is the basis of a business," Cheung said. "You need the knowledge of accounting to run a business."

With a growing demand for accounting majors and an increase in the popularity of the field itself, accountants and professors on Accountingweb.com have wondered if accounting has actually become "sexy." Accountingweb.com cited professors and students who said its popularity is worthy of such a title.

Accounting may be popular, but some are not sure if the major is ready for a title such as sexy.

"I've never heard that one before," Feavel said.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Nov. 30, 2004.