Asian restaurant throws ‘Zyng’ into dining

If people are looking to add a little Eastern flair to their dining, they might want to try the Zyng Asian Grill.

The restaurant, one of a chain originating from Montreal, offers diners a taste of several different Asian cultures with its eclectic menu.

"It's appealing to a lot of different people, if you come in with a friend who likes Thai and you like Chinese, you both can get what you want," said manager Rebecca Lucchesi. "Milwaukee has lots of people from different cultures and our restaurant reflects the mixing of cultures in the city. It's been a new wave to do a little bit of everything rather than just trying to be one kind of classification."

"It's like a tour of Asia, an Asian fusion," said Bridget Phelps, a Zyng hostess. "We have all types of Asian food including regulars like sweet and sour chicken and beef with broccoli."

The kung pow chicken, chicken by General Tso and Mongolian beef are also popular, Phelps said.

A unique aspect of Zyng's is its Asian market, which gives customers a chance to put their own meal together and make all the decisions.

Zyng gives a diner the choice between rice or nine different types of noodles, a choice of protein, all the vegetables that can be eaten and 11 different sauces.

Lucchesi said the choose-your-own characteristic of the restaurant is appealing to people who are picky eaters.

Another popular item recently added to the Zyng menu is sushi.

"We have four types of sushi — all fresh and made by our cooks," Phelps said. "It's become one of our most popular items since we've added it."

Zyng Asian Grill also has a bar that serves 15 different types of special martinis. Examples include the Asian Orchid and the Lychee Martini.

However, a big customer favorite is the chocolate dip fortune cookie martini.

"It's made with amaretto, vanilla vodka, Bailey's (Irish Cream) and the glass is dipped in chocolate with a fortune cookie hanging off it, which makes it appealing to the eye as well." Lucchesi said.

Besides its food, the restaurant prides itself on its service.

"We have really great servers, not only is our food good, we go the extra distance with good servers, bartenders and cooks," Lucchesi said. "Customers come in and they are happy because everyone takes good care of them."

So why should people dine at Zyng Asian Grill?

"It is a great atmosphere, the prices are extremely reasonable for the area, and the food is really good," Phelps said.

Zyng Asian Grill, 811 N. Jefferson St., is open seven days a week, except on Sundays during the NFL season. More information is available by calling 220-9964.