Living the ‘Latino Life’

If a picture is worth a thousand words, the Smithsonian Institution has compiled enough of them to bring the full story of the Latin American community to life.

The Milwaukee County Historical Center is currently playing host to "Americanos: Latino Life in the United States," a traveling Smithsonian exhibit that thoroughly explores the essence of Latino life in America over the years and celebrates the rich heritage of its people.

The exhibit, comprised of 120 photographs from 30 photographers all over the country, covers Latino life in full through various walks of life, including spirituality, sports, family, community, work and the arts. Milwaukee marks the final stop of the exhibit, which first arrived in August and will run through Nov. 21.

"Our director got in touch with the Smithsonian Institution and arranged everything from there," said Aenone Rosario, public relations director for the historical center. "It was supposed to come through last year, but due to scheduling conflicts it got pushed back to August. In any event, we're very happy to play host to the exhibit."

First started five years ago, "Americanos" has received enormous support from prominent members of the Latino community. Sandy Alomar Jr., Maya Angelou and novelist Carlos Fuentes are among the many who contributed to the various texts dispersed throughout the exhibit, each one offering personal thoughts and insights as to what it means to be of Latino origin in America today. According to Rosario, the exhibit was created out of the vision of actor Edward James Olmos, whose company, Olmos Productions Inc., produced and funded the entire project.

"Mr. Olmos has been very instrumental and hands-on in making this exhibit succeed," Rosario said. "He's done interviews promoting the project, engaged himself with the Latino community through Spanish newspapers, and really built it from the ground up."

The exhibit is broken up into six parts, each commenting and reflecting upon one aspect of Latino culture. In "Spiritual Life," viewers see the inescapable presence and vast influence of religion on the Latino community. Photos of young children receiving communion, prayer in schools and church congregations singing and rejoicing together speak of a people linked together by faith not only in God, but in one another. One photo in particular, an image of a young man in East Los Angeles with a tattoo of Our Lady of Guadalupe inked across his back, is particularly symbolic of the permanent state of religion in the lives of Latinos today and over the years.

Another segment, entitled "Work," touches upon the dedication and commitment of the Latin American people to working for everything they have, something they have done with pride for years and continue to do to this day. The pictures run the entire spectrum of the working Latino community, from prominent politicians and doctors to migrant farm workers struggling through 12-hour days for minimum wage. Regardless of what its individual members do, the exhibit shows the drive and determination prevalent in the life of every Latino man and woman who has clocked in for an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.

"Family" begins with an inspiring and heartfelt introduction by Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.), who uses an anecdote of his parents' struggle to the top of the social ladder in America to demonstrate the lengths a Latino family will go to provide for the one's they love.

"They are not an anomaly," Becerra wrote of his parents. "If you give immigrants a chance, they will prosper, and they will make life better for their children."

Indeed, the photos included within depict a world where mothers and daughters lovingly embrace, fathers and sons laugh and play, and where large social gatherings are the norm.

"Americanos" is stunning in its ability to portray a way of life all too commonly overlooked by many Americans today. Individually, each picture serves as a slice of life, capturing a time and place and existing purely in its own moment. But when strung together, it paints an altogether more vivid picture where humanity thrives and pride runs free, a picture of a people so firmly cognizant and aware of who they are and where they came from. It's here where the exhibit harnesses its power, in its ability to educate and inspire us all to be better people.

"This exhibit is such a worthwhile experience," Rosario said of "Americanos." "We're always giving tours to schools both in and around the Milwaukee area. Some come to learn Spanish, others about diversity and culture. This exhibit has so much to offer in each of those fields and in so many others."

The exhibit ends with a quote from poet and dramatist Alurista that invites visitors to become a part of their community.

"Allow yourself to be the legacy of our ancestors," he wrote. "It is yours to wear and psychodelisize (sic) to the inclinations of your present humanity."

It's a fitting ending to a project that stresses unity and harmony above all else. According to Rosario, the central theme through it all is community.

"There are very many diverse groups that make up the word 'Latino.' But at the end of the day, they all just want to be considered American."

"Americanos: Latino Life in the United States, is on exhibition at the Milwaukee County Historical Society, 910 N. Old World Third St, through Nov. 21. Hours of operation are 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free.