Council to vote on fuel prepay requirement

Gas stations patrons would have to pay for their fuel before they fill their tanks under a new measure approved by a Common Council committee.

The utilities and licenses committee approved a prepay ordinance Sept. 7 that would require all Milwaukee gas stations to make customers pay before pumping gas.

The measure, sponsored by 8th District Alderman Bob Donovan, will go before the entire Common Council for approval Sept. 21.

The rule, according to Donovan, is intended to prevent the number of incidents in which people drive off without paying for gas.

"The Milwaukee Police Department is expending resources and spending tax dollars on a crime that with some slight adjustments we can totally eliminate," Donovan said.

There were 165 drive-off incidents between July 2003 and June 2004, according to Sgt. Kenneth Henning, public information officer for MPD.

About two or three drive-offs occur each month at Citgo gas station, 2502 W. Wisconsin Ave., said Kassoun Woulale, an employee at the station.

"Last week someone drove off with $29 worth of gas," said Woulale, who supports the prepay-only rule.

"Every time someone steals gas, they drive off very fast," he said. "It could cause an accident."

Donovan agrees drive-offs could cause accidents.

"Somebody is going to get hit," he said. "There have also been instances where people pull (away) with the pump still attached and gas gets all over the place. That could be terrible if there was a spark."

Prevention of gas theft and dangerous driving are considered benefits of the measure, but some are concerned about the effects of the rule on consumers and gas stations.

Krystal Krueger, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, said she typically pays for gas with a credit card at the gas pump.

She said she would be inconvenienced by having to pay ahead of time without knowing how much it would cost to fill her tank.

"I see what the rule is getting at, but I don't know if I necessarily agree with it," Krueger said. "It causes more hassle."

Donovan said since many people pay with a credit card, inconvenience should be minimal.

However, some businesses are worried they may suffer as a result of a prepay ordinance.

"We will lose a little bit of customers, especially in the winter when people will not want to come inside," Woulale said.

Donovan maintains the rule will serve the best interests of all parties.

"It's not that big of an adjustment," he said. "Years ago, stations used to pump gas for you. Then they went to self-service and we all adjusted."

Milwaukee would not be alone, Donovan believes, should the Common Council approve the measure.

"I think, quite frankly, that this will be a trend whether or not it's adopted in Milwaukee," Donovan said.

"I think in the next five to 10 years you'll be seeing a lot more of this," he said.