Congress needs to forget about Reagan coinage

Republicans are trying to get their hero, President Ronald Reagan, to replace President Franklin D. Roosevelt on dimes. In December, the Ronald Reagan Dime Act was introduced in the House by Rep. Mark Soulder (R-Ind.) with 89 co-sponsors.

Soulder admits that partisanship motivates the bill, saying, "I believe (Reagan) represents conservative values … better than anybody else we've had in American history." Apparently ending the Great Depression and winning World War II — FDR's accomplishments — do not line up with conservative values. Funny, I didn't think those things lent themselves to "liberal" or "conservative" labels.

This bill is unnecessary. Reagan already had the National Airport named for him. And Republicans are waiting with gold shovels to break ground on a Reagan monument when Reagan finally dies. Even Nancy Reagan has expressed qualms about the Dime Act. But the Republicans won't stop until we're in the United States of Reaganland. Some have even jokingly asked to rename Alzheimer's Disease. I think we should rename AIDS after Reagan, due to his well-known compassion for AIDS patients.

But not all Republicans who support this bill are motivated by partisanship. Rep. Wally Herger (R-Calif.), a supporter, says that he feels "more of a connection with Reagan. He's… closer to us now in history." So part of the argument is that Reagan and his values are more relevant to today. Old guys like FDR need to move aside for the more recent icons with whom we have more of a "connection."

Right now, President Abraham Lincoln is on the penny and $5 bill. But Lincoln died almost 140 years ago! And all he ever did was prevent the dissolution of the country and free a race from slavery. That's not relevant today. Now, we like politicians who stir up regional and racial conflicts. So how about honoring the late Sen. Strom Thurmond. He fought in both parties to cement regional antagonisms and he stuck with segregation. He's clearly the man for the $5.

President John Kennedy appears on the half dollar. But JFK doesn't represent the way America is today. He did way too much: Prevent a nuclear war, set the stage for the Civil Rights Act and begin the Apollo Program. JFK broke the mold, and that goes against today's conservative values. So the coin should have a quietist president on it. Perhaps President Gerald Ford. He didn't rock the boat, and that's what we like to see nowadays.

Finally, President George Washington graces the $1 bill and the quarter. But he's another old guy who isn't relevant to our country or its values today. Washington was brilliant soldier in the struggle against totalitarianism. However, today's $1 bills and quarters should be reserved for a man who was a crusader for democracy only in revisionist history books. Wait! I've found it! This is the place for Reagan.

[email protected]