Musicians sing love languages

The French are experts on amour and Present Music is celebrating the designated day of love by hosting a French-filled night at the Milwaukee Art Museum.

This Saturday, the Milwaukee-based music ensemble will be putting on a French music themed concert aptly entitled "Ooh La La!" Present Music will be performing Claude Debussy's "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" and an American premiere by composer Bruno Mantovani among others. The concert will also feature special guests Robin Pluer and Mrs. Fun who will be performing vintage French songs.

"All the credit for the French theme goes to our artistic director Kevin Stalheim," said Elizabeth Seifert, Present Music's marketing and public relations manager. "Last year we were planning this program to be used in (this year's) Milwaukee International Festival of Arts, but its last year was last year."

The concert begins at 7:30 p.m., but the doors to the museum will open at 5:30 p.m. for the pre-concert festivities.

"There will be wine tasting available to any students of age," Seifert said.

There will also be small areas set up around the museum where the Alliance Francaise will be holding mini-French lessons for anyone interested in learning the language of love. Musicians walking throughout the museum will serenade lovebirds with harps and violins as well.

At 6:45 p.m., Pluer will hold a pre-concert talk to discuss her past musical experiences, her history and her love of all things French.

"We are trying to offer Milwaukee a culturally diverse theme, focus on love, and have some fun French," Seifert said.

Tickets are on sale at the Present Music office, which can be reached at 271-0711, but tickets are also being sold the night of the event. Single tickets range from $15-35. Students can purchase tickets at half-price.