Cash’s swagger, sound live on

Last September saw the loss of Johnny Cash, one of the most cherished and iconic figures in the history of rock 'n' roll. At age 71, Cash died gracefully in his sleep, leaving behind a legacy stretching back nearly five decades.

Cash was the genuine article, a man who wrote songs of such strong passion and conviction, not because he knew what people wanted to hear or knew how to market himself, but because he lived and persevered through the lowdown rugged lifestyle he spoke of in his music. He walked the line and lived to tell about it.

He was the Man in Black, a suave, sneering outlaw who chewed gum, flipped off bouncers, boozed, smoked and walked with a swagger that could make Kid Rock shake at the knees.

He even played before inmates at notoriously tough California prisons, where he had them eating out of his hands. Cash was badass personified, a torch bearer who blazed the trail for the likes of Axl Rose, Gene Simmons and countless other rock 'n' roll ruffians.

Yet in spite of all the hoopla surrounding his tough guy persona, Cash was a very humble and deeply spiritual person. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001FGBHU"Life, a thematic compilation of Cash's early work, touches further upon this side of the man that went all too unnoticed by many. The disc covers familiar terrain for Cash, packed with 18 songs about love, work, family and respect for one's roots.

Life comes springing off the heels of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TB88"Love, God, Murder, a three-disc set released in 2000 that similarly summed up Cash's early music through categorization.

The fourth installment will no doubt sit well with fans of the previous set, as Life includes songs that touch on themes of Love ("You're the Nearest Thing to Heaven"), God ("I Talk to Jesus Everyday") and Murder ("Wanted Man"). The disc also hits upon newer themes, particularly loyalty ("These Are My People") and pride ("Country Trash"). The songs are old, and many have been re-released countless times on numerous other compilations. Still, the thematic arrangement of the material gives the record a sense of freshness and vitality, allowing for a new perspective for listeners to approach the music. Like its predecessors, Life plays out like a history lesson in American roots music, brought to the listener by the subject's finest instructor.

As strong as Life is in its adherence to Cash's earlier, more traditional work, it's hard not to wonder how good the record would be if it took his newer material from the American sessions into consideration.

Considering the impact Cash's recent material has had on younger audiences, inclusion of music from the Rick Rubin era would have allowed for a fuller, more complete assessment of Cash's history. Those few objections aside, Life does justice to Cash and his legacy, aligning itself closely with its three-disc set counterparts.

Why Life was left out of the set initially is uncertain, yet it could be argued that at the time, the thought of life without Johnny Cash seemed far too unfeasible to be considered. Yet today, some seven months after his death, the disc seems fitting and called for.

In a time where the music world is short on artistic leaders and role models, it's important to remember and keep alive the spirit of those such as Cash who dedicated their lives to their craft and left nothing to chance. If anything, Life proves that heroes come and go, but their impact and legacy never die.

Grade: AB