MPD actions defended

This Viewpoint is in response to Lesley Kuras's April 13 Viewpoint "MPD seems out of bounds" on the student jaywalker. Kuras questions the dedication of the MPD while acknowledging that the student broke the law. It doesn't matter if the law regards dealing drugs, selling colored margarine or using a flouroscopic shoe fitting machine. Political opinions aside, a police officer's sworn job is to enforce the law as it stands.

Technically, the officer in question did not even do that. Now, every officer has a measure of discretion, which the officer did exercise in not handing the student a ticket. Kuras did not mention the substance of what the officer said, nor how long the discussion lasted. Also in question is why the police officer felt the need to pursue. Did the student ignore/dismiss the warning over the loudspeaker?

While I agree jaywalking is not the biggest offense in the world, it is still a violation. The police officer, at some level, was attempting not only to enforce the statute but also to protect the student from injury. In that regard, had there been a car moving through the intersection, the student may have not only suffered injury, but could have been liable for damage to the car. MPD was not alleged to have used any excessive force with the student. All that was alleged was a "verbal pummel(ling)." Any indignation should be tempered with the fact that no citation was issued.

Lange is a third-year law student.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.