No beast in the East this year

Several questions concerning the Eastern Conference will be answered in the coming weeks of the NBA season.

And most importantly, will LeBron James live up to the expectations and hype the entire sports world has for him?

There is no doubt the East is as weak and wide open as ever but here are my top eight teams the conference has to offer.

1) New Jersey Nets

The Nets are a little beat up to start the year and Head Coach Byron Scott has yet to decide if Jason Collins or Alonzo Mourning will start at center. But, I still pick J-Kidd and the Nets to represent the East in the Finals.

2) Detroit Pistons

Larry Brown is in D-town to lead the team known for their D to the next level. The Pistons feature the deepest team in the NBA. Team leaders Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton and Ben Wallace will have Detroit back atop the Central Division.

3) Indiana Pacers

Jermaine O'Neal is becoming a superstar, but the loss of All-Star Brad Miller to Sacramento takes the Pacers out of contention for the conference crown.

4) Orlando Magic

T-Mac is on the attack in the magic kingdom and with the addition of Juwan Howard, the Magic are set to make a push to the top. Watch for Drew Gooden to have a big year.

5) New Orleans Hornets

A healthy Baron Davis is back without a bad back and Jamal Mashburn will try to match the season he had a year ago.

6) Philadelphia 76ers

We all know Allen Iverson is the Answer. But the question is whether Glenn Robinson is what this team needs to return to the finals?

7) Chicago Bulls

No excuses this year. The Baby Bulls are growing up and Scottie Pippen will lead this group back to the post season. A solid core of Jalen Rose, Jamal Crawford and Eddy Curry is as good as the East has to offer. Now lets just see them win a road game.

8) Miami Heat

The team every Marquette student will be following. Dwyane Wade and Lamar Odom will be the perfect complement to each other as things are heating up in Miami.

The rest of the East has an equal chance to make some noise this season. Paul Pierce is the man in charge in Boston. Vince Carter hopes to stay healthy in Toronto. The Atlanta Hawks try to build on their strong finish from a year ago. King James's every step will be watched in Cleveland. Gilbert Arenas guarantees playoffs in Washington (they won't make it). And the Knicks and the Bucks are just a mess waiting to happen.

Enjoy tonight's opening tipoff, I know I will.