Program aims for fitter campus

A new free exercise program for Marquette students, faculty and staff debuts tomorrow with the goal of making physical activity fun, easy and safe.

Step Off, or Standardized Exercise Program Offering you a Fit Future, is based on a Wellness Committee initiative and will offer walking courses from one to five miles in length. It is sponsored by the exercise science program in the College of Health Sciences and Rec Sports.

The main idea behind the walking program, according to College of Health Sciences senior and Step Off co-founder Katie Kirley, is to "make physical activity accessible, affordable, safe and fun."

According to Ashley Nelson, a senior in the College of Health Sciences, the exercise science program and Rec Sports have been trying to start a program like Step Off for some time, but the ideas failed due to a "lack of organization."

College of Health Sciences senior and Step Off Student Coordinator Lauren Ewalt said the program was inspired by the College of Health Sciences' exercise and obesity class and similar programs in other schools.

Another reason the program was established was to help combat the rising trend of obesity.

"There is a growing rate of obesity in our country which affects many people, even those here at Marquette," Kirley said. "By starting Step Off we're trying to make some impact in the fight against obesity by helping the Marquette community aware of the importance of daily physical activity in achieving a healthy lifestyle."

College of Health Sciences senior and Step Off co-founder Molly Noonan said the walking program will cater to those looking for a safe and interesting workout routine.

"Some people may feel uncomfortable working out at the gym, others may enjoy being outside and walking during their lunch hour," Noonan said. "Whatever the reason, we are hoping to draw in beginners as well as regular walkers together in a social atmosphere that will make exercising fun."

Besides the walking courses, Step Off will offer participants knowledge on how to take their heart rate, what their target heart rate should be during exercise and information on the health benefits of walking; it will also encourage participants to record how many miles they walk in a log.

Recording how many miles they have walk is a way for participants to "set goals and see their achievements," according to Kirley. "If people can see that they're achieving something they are more likely to continue with it, which is what we at Step Off are hoping for."

Noonan agreed, saying keeping track of their accomplishments will encourage participants to achieve their goals.

"A walker can accomplish a goal of six miles per week fairly easily, but a goal of walking 400 miles for the school year may seem out of reach," she said. "The walking logs are to motivate the walkers to complete long-term goals."

The Step Off kickoff starts at 12:15 p.m. and will be held between Clark and Cramer halls on 16th Street. Registration forms and more information are available at the Rec Center.

"This program is for anyone and everyone. If you've been exercising for years or if you've never had a regular exercise routine we want you to come and walk with us," Kirley said.