Week aids students’ career search

Students looking for tips and techniques to help them determine their major and career will receive major help with Career Week, which began Monday.

From seniors who are starting the career search to underclassmen who are researching different majors, the week helps all students, said Jason Eckert, the assistant director of the Career Services Center.

"It's a nice chance for anyone who is in need of career services to take us up on this week of programs and to either stop by (our office) or attend a program where they can learn more about their career," Eckert said.

Eckert recommended the College of Arts & Sciences Majors Fair today from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms for younger students.

"Every single Arts & Sciences major that we offer will have representation there talking about what you can gain by considering a major in that area," he said.

The "fun program" of the week will be Resumania!, at which Eckert said he will present research about the most important part of resumes. The event, which will be held Wednesday at 3 p.m. in the Career Services Center Seminar Room on the first floor of Holthusen Hall, combines pop culture fun with the important topic of what employers look for in a professional resume.

Resumania! is not going to be "your typical, boring how-to-write-a-resume program," Eckert said. "It's going to come at a lot of different angles in terms of what employers are seeking and also throwing in a lot of fun."

One of the final events of the week is a seminar series called Future Potential in IT. The series is part of a national program co-hosted by Microsoft, the Society for Information Management, Marquette and Culminis, according to Associate Professor Kate Kaiser.

Marquette is hosting the event and is collaborating with University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, UW-Parkside and UW-Whitewater, Kaiser said.

The targeted audience is freshmen, sophomores and those who do not know the variety of jobs involved with information technology, she said.

There are misconceptions and myths surrounding IT, Kaiser said, which the presentation will attack and explain.

The event — to be held Friday in the AMU from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. — is free, but registration for this event is required. Students can register by visiting www.futurepotentialit.com.

The week, which is sponsored by the Career Services Center, the Counseling Center and the College of Arts & Sciences Advising Center, is a "group of activities that, working together, can remind students to pay attention to their careers," Eckert said.

College of Arts & Sciences freshman John Marrin is majoring in Spanish but is unsure of his other major and focus.

Marrin said he will attend the fair today because he needs to find a "good fit" with his major in Spanish.

If there was not a Career Week featuring a majors fair, Marrin said he would otherwise miss out on a major with which he is not familiar.

Check the calendar on Page 2 for more information on the events being held throughout Career Week.,”James A. Molnar”