More MUSG officers bid farewell to board

Three more Marquette Student Government executive board members' terms came to an end at MUSG's last senate meeting.

Legislative Vice President Dek Glynn, Program Vice President Chris Hoff, and Communication Vice President Laura Herzing have stepped aside and made way for the 2006-'07 MUSG executive board.

"The three executive board members who attended their last meeting have all done an excellent job this year," said Jon Dooley, assistant dean of student development and MUSG adviser.

According to Dooley, Glynn, a College of Arts & Sciences senior, "has led the Senate during a time of increased activity, greater transparency and a higher level of accountability to the interests of Marquette students."

College of Health Sciences senior Hoff "has consistently supported events and activities that have drawn greater attendance, supported the development of campus traditions and transformed the weekend campus culture through the creation of late night programming," Dooley said.

College of Communication senior Herzing's service to MUSG as art director and communication vice president "has coincided with a significant increase in the quality and effectiveness of MUSG publicity," he said.

Two of the board positions were filled by an MUSG senate vote in the last meeting. College of Arts & Sciences sophomore Brock Banks will take over as the new legislative vice president, and College of Communication junior Aliy Lane is the new communication vice president.

The new program vice president, College of Arts & Sciences junior Steve Ryan, was elected in February and had been in training prior to taking office.

According to Banks, the job description of the legislative vice president is to preside over the senators and look over them, making sure they stay on task.

The main goal for the 2006-'07 school year is to "guide the senators in staying true to the role of being the voice of Marquette students," Banks said.

The communication vice president's task, according to Lane, is to improve communication between the Senate and students and involves the use of multimedia, art — which includes designing the publicity for MUSG events — and press releases.

"I'm very excited to be the new communication vice president," Lane said. "Working here over the past three years I've seen good things and things that can be improved, and I am going to work hard to improve communication with the students."

MUSG President and College of Business Administration junior Dan Calandriello said he is excited by the makeup of the new executive board.

"We've all come from different places but are united in one cause — the cause of serving the students," he said. "Looking forward I am really excited because all the new board members have the experience, dedication and drive to make changes."

The experience that Lane and Banks "brings to their respective positions is what they need to help continue the positive progress that has been made by MUSG to fulfill its mission to identify, understand and actively address and represent students' needs, concerns and interests," Dooley said.

After leaving the last meeting before Easter break, Calandriello said he felt motivated for next year.

"We're ready, the pieces have fallen into place and we're ready to make a difference," he said.