Leave flyers alone

Wonder what student organizations are doing or if they are doing anything? Good question. But I, like my fellow student organizational leaders would say that the issue is not whether we are active groups, but that we are finding it difficult to communicate these activities to the general campus.

My organization, Students for Life, hosted a fundraiser this Saturday from 8 p.m. to 1a.m. at an off-campus location, 1529 W. State St, to assist local pregnant women by collecting baby supplies or monetary donations for the Pregnancy Help Center of Milwaukee.

The dance party, entitled "Roll Back Roe," is admittedly controversial. Yet I was dismayed to discover that flyers my organization spent money on to create and time to get approved by the Office of Student Development were being removed. I blame this on two problems.

First, it appears that some individuals believe that it is acceptable behavior to destroy property of organizations because they do not agree with the group's message. For instance, I found my groups flyers removed from Schroeder Health Complex and Wehr Life Science while material from other organizations remained in the same spot. Second, groups in general have limited space to advertise in academic buildings.

To address the first issue, Marquette prides itself on being a hate-free community. Sadly, a couple of individuals ignore this fact and find it acceptable to destroy a group's property because they disapprove of the group's message. Everyone could find a group on campus whose views differ from one's own, but this is not an acceptable outlet for one's opinion.

OSD gives permission for groups to advertise their events by displaying flyers. Such destructive and hate-filled actions are immature and do not live up to the standards of Marquette. I ask that all groups condemn such behavior and spread the word that such actions should not be tolerated by students or faculty.

Secondly, student organizations find few spaces to advertise in academic buildings. There are few actual boards to place flyers on and some are only found in low traffic density spots.

It also seems that janitorial staff is told to remove any flyers not in these areas, though officials in these buildings have stated that it was acceptable to place them in other areas. Marquette Student Government recently attempted to put up a kiosk so that groups may advertise more, but that unfortunately fell through. Therefore, I believe it is necessary for the campus to look at the academic buildings and ensure that there is ample space for organizations to advertise events in high traffic areas.

Student organizations often rely on advertising to draw in new members, or non-members to attend events that they might find interesting. It is imperative that organizations can find space to display such advertisements to the general campus without having these torn down by a few individuals who find destroying property an acceptable means to voice one's opinion.

This is not the first time either my organization or others have experienced such treatment, but I hope this Viewpoint will raise the consciousness and awareness of the Marquette community to make it the last.