My Lai defense attorney to speak today

Richard Kay, the attorney for Lt. William Calley during the court-marshal for the infamous My Lai massacre in the Vietnam War, will speak about his experiences today.

Kay unsuccessfully defended Calley, the lieutenant in charge of the 11th Brigade during the war. Calley's men participated in a search-and-destroy mission in the village of My Lai, which led to the death of more than 300 unarmed Vietnamese civilians, including women and children.

"Richard Kay is not being brought to endorse Calley or to throw stones at him," said Stephen Hauser, a lecturer of history. "Kay has a unique perspective of the happenings at My Lai and it is important for students to see living history."

Hauser, the history department and Phi Alpha Theta and Pi Sigma Alpha honor societies are sponsoring Kay's presentation, which will be in Alumni Memorial Union 227 at 4 p.m.

"I often try to get personal interviews with people of history for my classes so that I can bring to the lectures more than just what the book says, and I called Kay to talk to him about the occurrence in My Lai," Hauser said. "We got to talking and Kay offered to come speak at Marquette for free."

In addition to being a "horrendous" episode in American military history, My Lai is important because it became a central reason for a nationwide divide in the United States, Hauser said.

"Some were supporters of Calley, saying that the soldiers involved were 'our boys' and we have to protect them, others said what happened in My Lai was pure murder. It caused much division in an already controversial time," he said.

Although it was perhaps an isolated event, My Lai had symbolic significance as well, according to English Professor Milton Bates.

"The trials that came out of the charges of murder and rape amounted to a trial of America's purposes in Vietnam and indeed of American innocence," Bates said.

Though the circumstances regarding My Lai are extremely controversial, Hauser reminded students that there are two sides to every story and in the United States "every defendant is entitled to a competent defense."

Bates said he hopes the presentation is provocative for its listeners.

"That is what a university is supposed to do — provide a forum in which thoughtful people can confront important and controversial issues," he said.