Homes for the holiday

According to Stephanie Treffert, a sophomore in the college of Health Sciences and founder of Mardi Gras, this will be the group's second trip to New Orleans.,”

More than 100 students will travel with the student organization Mardi Gras to New Orleans this Christmas break to help restore homes devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

According to Stephanie Treffert, a sophomore in the College of Health Sciences and founder of Mardi Gras, this will be the group's second trip to New Orleans. Fifteen students went on the group's first trip in October, she said.

The organization is focused on helping rebuild areas severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina, along with promoting Hurricane Katrina awareness among students, Treffert said.

From Dec. 15 to Dec. 21, students traveling to New Orleans will be divided into groups and will work primarily with one family on reconstructing homes, Treffert said.

Treffert, a former student of Loyola University New Orleans, said she started the Mardi Gras organization with the intent of giving back to what has been left of the area. Treffert said she started forming the organization after seeing the destruction in the wake of Katrina.

Marquette recognized Mardi Gras as a student organization in October, she said.

Mardi Gras is planning several activities next semester to encourage students to get involved with Hurricane Katrina relief.

"We don't want to just become a travel group," Treffert said.

Mardi Gras hopes to encourage students to get involved not only in New Orleans but in the entire Gulf region as well. Next semester, the organization is planning to make another trip to the Gulf region over spring break, she said.

Bridget Finn, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she hopes to provide some relief to civilians hurt by the hurricane.

"I saw coverage on TV and I wanted to help out," she said. "I hope to help the people there in any way I can."

Greg Jackson, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said he hopes the trip will alleviate some of the victims' struggles.

"I think it's a great opportunity to help out the victims of Katrina," Jackson said.

Other students going on the trip hope to help friends and family in the area.

"I studied abroad with a friend who went to school in New Orleans, and I feel the need to help rebuild it," Reichart said.

Mardi Gras also plans to get involved with Spark Week, a national movement promoting Hurricane Katrina awareness in the New Orleans area.

"Once you go down there you start to feel passions about it and you can't ignore it," Treffert said. "This is my contribution back."