Top ten best albums

1. Bob Dylan, Modern Times

Since Dylan has made around 43 main albums since 1962 (yes, I counted, it averages out to about one a year, including live albums), he has inevitably had some fluctuations in his catalogue. His latest finds him at a high point, as his voice still takes center stage, but the strong presence of finger picked guitars and a bluesy bass line makes songs that would sound good in both a lounge or a saloon. His inclusion on this list, along with Neil Young's well received protest album this year and the re-popularity of Johnny Cash reflects a mood that yearns for older times in the country.

2.Gnarls Barkley, St. Elsewhere

The feel-good-hit-of the summer "Crazy" made this album so popular that it warranted a reissue in a deluxe edition the same year. Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse are productive enough to make it happen quickly enough, despite this being more of a side project for the two. Danger Mouse moves away from his more ambient tracks on the Gorillaz album, Demon Days, and Cee-Lo moves from his solo career to a more layered environment.

3. Johnny Cash, American V:A Hundred Highways

Staying within the folk-country tradition of performing cover songs, Cash covers both the Boss and Hank Williams with his signature injection of feeling and shaky-at-best voice. Perhaps this is better fit on a best of 2003 list, but the release was held until this year so the album could be appreciated on its own, outside the shadow of the film.

4. Cat Power, The Greatest

Representing the girls of indie rock in the most demure way possible, Chan Marshall once again proves that not all new music sounds "atrocious" when recorded, in contrast to Dylan's statement this year. The album is not a collection of her hits, but it does appear to look back over her works, as it takes a different approach that moves more toward her southern roots. Nonetheless, this move does not stray from her previous expansive landscape. She still takes the piano with her, and so her previous fans will make the move with her as well.

5. The Roots, Game Theory

With 20 years of musical experience under their black belts in hip-hop, the Roots don't stop. They have an inimitable sound that continues to evolve and they use samples that help accentuate their sound, not inspire it. Samples of Radiohead and eight-minute songs show how The Roots help elevate Def Jam to a higher musical plane.

The Best of the rest:

6. The Thermals, The Body, the Blood, the Machine

7. Justin Timberlake, FutureSex/LoveSounds

8. Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood, Out Louder

9. The Flaming Lips, At War with the Mystics

10. Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, The Dust of Retreat