Chock full of tickets for chocolate

The Marquette Student Government has increased the number of tickets to be sold this year for the popular annual Night of Chocolate, after students were turned away at the doors last year.

The After Dark event highlighting an all you can eat chocolate buffet and fondue fountain will be held tonight in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms from 9 to 11 p.m.

According to MUSG Programs Vice President Steve Ryan, a College of Arts & Sciences junior, last year the Night of Chocolate event had a maximum capacity of 500 and sold out.

In order to allow more students to attend the event, and to prevent students being turned away, MUSG has increased the number of tickets available to 600 this year and MUSG officials are confident the event will sell out again.

"If students want to attend the event, I would recommend purchasing tickets as soon as possible because they have been selling at a fast pace," Ryan said.

Night of Chocolate has achieved a "high student turnout rate over the years," Ryan said. "Night of Chocolate is an event that students have come to expect each year and has built a worthwhile reputation among the student body. . It's a classy event."

The event will include chocolate fountains, chocolate cupcakes, brownies and "much, much more," he said.

Additionally, orchestra director Nick Contorno's quintet will be performing throughout the night, all the tables will have chocolate scented candles and the 125th person to walk in the room will receive a chocolate gift basket in honor of Marquette's 125th Anniversary.

Tickets for the event cost $5 and are on sale in the Brooks Lounge. As of Monday 354 tickets of the 600 total tickets available had been sold.

According to MUSG President Dan Calandriello, a College of Business Administration senior, Night of Chocolate is one of MUSG's "best events."

"This year's programming had some great events," Calandriello said. "It is always a challenge trying to attract diverse groups on campus."

Ryan agreed, saying, "While MUSG prides itself on being a voice for the students, it also provides students with quality entertainment and educational programming throughout the academic year.

"MUSG offers a wide variety of programs in order to appeal to the entire student population at Marquette University, which is a daunting task. Much time and energy go into planning, which should not go overlooked."

However, there have been several events this semester that have achieved similar participation rates as the Night of Chocolate – including the outdoor movie in Central Mall during Mania Week, the showing of "Tommy Boy" and Late Night breakfasts.

"While other events have not reached the 500 student mark, several other of the MUSG events this semester have surpassed 350 students in attendance, which is the criteria for a successful event," Ryan said.

MUSG officials hope students will come and stay and not just come, eat and leave, according to Ryan.

"I would encourage students to attend because it's a fun event that provides a break from studying and appeals to all students," said MUSG program board assistant Keta Radich, a College of Health Sciences senior. "Plus, there's going to be a lot of chocolate."