University unveils new theology major

The university's recent establishment of a new major in Catholic theology will prepare students to teach theology in Catholic schools by providing a curriculum that includes both theology and education classes.

According to the Rev. John Laurance, associate professor and chair of theology, the new major will replace a teaching major in religious studies.

Wisconsin discontinued certification for religious studies in 2004, said Tina McNamara, director of undergraduate advising in School of Education, in an e-mail.

"We are trying to have a program that prepares students to teach religion, especially in Catholic schools," Laurance said of the new major.

Although the new major in Catholic theology prepares students to teach, graduates of the program will not acquire teaching certification.

"We can prepare students with enough theology and education credits to be good teachers," Laurance said.

The major in Catholic theology responds to the standards for theology teachers that have been developed by the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, he said.

According to McNamara, education majors who major in theology can't be licensed in theology. Instead, they can be licensed in social studies only if they complete a Broadfiled Social Studies extension, which is similar to a minor.

The extension requires seven courses among five or six areas, depending on the student's major, she said.

Colleen Carter, a junior in the college of Arts & Sciences, said majoring in education and theology has been difficult because her class requirements are unclear. Carter will not be certified in theology because the state will not certify theology majors, she said.

Carter said she would have likely majored in the Catholic theology major if it had been available when she entered Marquette.

Other education majors are uninterested in the Catholic theology major because the program does not offer teaching certification.

"It probably would have been better for me because my major requirements have been confusing, and it would have been a smoother academic path," Carter said of the new major.

Christina Avakian, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said she was uninterested in the Catholic theology major. She contemplated majoring in theology, but decided against it because she could not be certified to teach theology.

"I was interested in theology, but receiving a teaching certification was more important," Avakian said.

The major in Catholic theology requires 36 credits in theology and 19 credits in the School of Education.

"The major is very manageable, but almost equal to a double major," Laurance said.

The major provides a great background for work in other areas as well, he said.