The eagerly anticipated grand reopening

,”

After 11 months of alternative routes and subsequent frustration, the Wisconsin Avenue bridge is planned to open Nov. 30, linking the campus back together as one.

According to Toby Peters, associate vice president for administration, the bridge has been closed since Jan. 3. The bridge will be complete the day before its original promised day on Dec. 1, he said.

"We are planning to have some fun with the opening of the bridge," Peters said.

According to Peters, a ceremonial opening will most likely take place the week after the opening involving the state, Common Council and Marquette students and faculty.

Residents of Straz Tower are also planning events to celebrate the opening, said Alex Dresen, a sophomore in the College of Business and president of Straz Tower Hall Council.

According to Dresen, Straz Tower Hall Council is planning events within the residence hall to get students excited about the opening.

"We hope to have a student from Straz who has lived here for a while talk about their experiences," Dresen said.

Residents of Straz Tower are especially excited about the opening of the bridge because they will be directly linked with the rest of campus.

"The opening of the bridge is something that has been long awaited," said Liz Driscoll, a freshman in the College of Health Sciences. "Everyone is really looking forward to it."

Stephane Fabus, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, said Straz residents are looking forward to the opening of the bridge because they will have easier access to other residence halls.

Some students have expressed frustration finding full weekend dining options because of Straz's limited hours.

"With the bridge down and the construction, we have a really long walk to eat at Cobeen," Fabus said.

According to Fabus, students are most excited to be rejoined with the rest of campus.

"Wisconsin Avenue was our connection to the rest of campus," she said. "It feels like we are an island finally connecting with the mainland."