A feet-tapping fun time

Who knew Brittany Murphy could croon an audience and touch its soul? She and the rest of the cast — including musical regulars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman and the always exhaustingly funny Robin Williams — do not hit a sour note in "Happy Feet," the newest animation film from Warner Bros. hitting theaters Friday.

In fact, the only sour notes were from title character Mumble (played unrecognizably well by Elijah Wood), who is born without the ability to sing — a necessity for an Emperor Penguin to win the heart of its mate. The talent Mumble was born with is abnormal, not a societal norm indeed: the ability to tap dance.

Mumble's parents, Memphis (Jackman) and Norma Jean (Kidman), are at first shocked by this abnormality because both of them have wonderful voices; Memphis says, "It just ain't penguin," while Norma Jean thinks his toe tapping is cute. Jackman's Elvis Presley impression came be too over-the-top and annoying at times, while Kidman as a motherly Marilyn Monroe was sweet and subdued.

Gloria (Murphy), a blossoming singer and very popular, is the best friend and (of course) crush of Mumble; however, it becomes quite evident that a superb singer such as Gloria could never mate with a screeching, toe-tapping outcast like Mumble.

The toe tapping will lead Mumble on an incredible journey of self-discovery, taking him away from his home and into the likes of the Amigos, a wise-cracking gang of Latino Adelie penguins (shorter than an Emperor). Ramon (voiced brilliantly by Williams) is the leader of the pact and they find Mumble and his tapping "accidentally cool" and they decide to accompany him on his journey. The late Steve Irwin also made a vocal appearance in the movie — his last — as Trev, one of Robin Williams' buddies.

If you only take one thing away from the film, it will be the soundtrack. You will be humming the star-filled, upbeat soundtrack as you walk out of the theater.

With songs including "Tell Me Something Good" by Pink, "Do It Again" by The Beach Boys, and slew of other recognizable talent such as Prince, Jason Mraz, k.d. lang, Patti LaBelle, Yolanda Adams and Fantasia Barrino, you'll want to head to the mall and purchase the CD — I did. "Happy Feet" also features impressive solos by leads Murphy, Kidman, Jackman and Williams.

Having the seen the brilliant "March of the Penguins" I was worried the film would not be accurate, but it was — though I know I did not see Emperor Penguins dancing in "March."

Children will enjoy this film, at least the first half. (Note: there are some pretty frightening scenes in the middle.) But the film slips. The ending is mediocre and unrealistic; it befuddles more than resolves and resembles something closer to movie for adults, with a strong message behind it.

The ending of the film is also unimpressive in regards to the rest of the animation, which is pretty flawless for Warner Bros., which brought us "Polar Express." There is, however, technical ingenuity with the use of motion capture (also used in "Polar Express") with dancing that is simply amazing to behold.

While the animation/CGI is very well done, the content within the film is not on the same level of Disney/Pixar animated films, or even DreamWorks' "Shrek." The soundtrack, at the same time, could compete with the likes of "Cars" and "Shrek."

Throughout the movie, you will be toe tapping along with Mumble and rest of the cast and for that reason, it is worth a matinee viewing.

Verdict: 2.5 stars out of 4

,”James A. Molnar”