Several buildings eyed for renovation

Among other objectives of the "Achieving the Vision," the board of trustees is considering replacing or renovating several buildings.

In the university's strategic plan for the next seven years, its fifth goal was to optimize student learning through enhanced infrastructure.

As part of that goal, the report identified the Law School and its library as facilities that either need to be rebuilt or renovated in order to keep pace with other schools.

The report also called for a new life sciences facility and a new building for the College of Engineering.

According to Brigid O'Brien Miller, director of university communication, the board has accepted the strategic plan but the building possibilities still remain only discussion.

"At this point the plans are all under discussion," she said. "There are no set plans."

According to University Archives, Sensenbrenner Hall was completed in spring of 1924. Between 1967 and 1968, Marquette completed its $800,000 legal research center to house the library collections and administration office. In 1972, Marquette spent $500,000 to renovate and expand the current Law School.

The Wehr Life Sciences Building was completed in the fall of 1962 as a part of the Marquette Plan, an endowment in which the university pledged to raise $45 million.

The report also called for a facility to either replace or complement Haggerty Hall and Olin Engineering Center to house the College of Engineering.

The Olin Engineering Center was completed in December 1977 and was dedicated four months later. The building cost $2.65 million, $2.5 million of which was donated by the Olin Foundation.

According to Marquette's Web site, Haggerty Engineering Hall was built in 1941 and underwent a $4.7 million renovation in 1988.