MUSG vows transparency, increase of student voice

"This year will be the biggest outreach of MUSG. People will know what MUSG stands for and what we do, which is work for the students," said MUSG President and College of Business Administration senior Dan Calandriello.,”Over the summer the Marquette Student Government has been organizing programs, planning changes for the Marquette community and working to uphold its promise for a more transparent MUSG.

"This year will be the biggest outreach of MUSG. People will know what MUSG stands for and what we do, which is work for the students," said MUSG President and College of Business Administration senior Dan Calandriello.

MUSG summer projects included organizing an online behavior committee, working toward Rec Center improvement, attending the National Jesuit Student Leadership Conference, working with the Department of Public Safety to increase student safety and continuing to increase student voice with the university's board of trustees.

"We've got a lot on our plate right now. From the newest senators to the executive vice president, we're gearing up and looking towards the future," Calandriello said.

This Wednesday begins the MUSG-sponsored Mania Week, which includes a magic show, a showing of "Tommy Boy," an After Dark video dance party and trips to a Milwaukee Brewers Game and Six Flags Great America.

"We've planned a variety of events that we are hoping will appeal to the greater Marquette student population and encourage all students to attend the events and help kick off the school year," said Stephen Ryan, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and MUSG programs vice president.

Tickets to the Milwaukee Brewers game and Six Flags Great America will be sold in the Brooks Lounge on the first floor of the Alumni Memorial Union prior to the day of the event.

Tickets will not be sold on the day of the events.

According to MUSG Legislative Vice President and College of Arts & Sciences junior Brock Banks, The MUSG executive board has also been "preparing to produce legislation and work on hot issues."

On the top of the list of items MUSG will address will be the changes made by the Marquette administration over the summer. Some of these changes include a transition in coffee companies from Alterra Coffee Roasters to Stone Creek Coffee, a $2 increase in ATM fees, an increase in vending machine prices and price increases in Marquette Place.

"There are committees with students on them that act as voices of the student body, but these changes were made without the input of the students," Banks said.

Calandriello agreed, saying MUSG was "very disappointed in the lack of student consideration involved with these changes" and promised that MUSG would play an active role in making sure such decisions are not made without student input in the future.

MUSG is also working toward sponsoring lectures with members of the Marquette board of trustees.

According to Calandriello, the goal of the lectures will be to get away from the "ivory tower" image of the board of trustees and encourage personal interaction between students and the members of the board of trustees.

Students can also expect a MUSG-sponsored handout of safety hints. Banks said MUSG and DPS are planning a pamphlet that "gives information about how to stay safe during weekend activities," Banks said.