Breaking bread to Bono

U2charist, which will combine a worship service and music from the Irish rock band U2, will come to Wisconsin for the first time this weekend.

St. James Episcopal Church, 833 W. Wisconsin Ave., will offer the service at 7:30 p.m. Saturday. The U2charist service is gaining popularity across the country.

According to the Rev. Debra Trakel, rector of St. James, U2charist is a Holy Eucharist service using U2 music as support.

"When listening to his lyrics, you will find that Bono is a devout Christian," Trakel said of the band's lead singer.

Bono uses biblical references and a message of social justice in his lyrics to support his values, she said.

St. James put together a PowerPoint presentation and music video for the service.

"It is a worship service that feels like a rock concert," she said.

According to Trakel, Bono has been recognized by the United Nations for his work around the world raising money to end poverty. The U.N. has officially honored him as the U.N. ambassador to the Millennium Development Goals.

U2 is allowing the music to be played without filing for copyright as a part of the U.N. Millennium Development Goals.

The eight goals are to eradicate extreme hunger and poverty; achieve universal primary education; promote gender equality and empower women; reduce child mortality; improve maternal health; combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases; ensure environmental sustainability; and develop a global partnership for development by 2015.

According to Trakel, U2charist started at an Episcopal church in York, Maine.

"The Rev. Paige Blair put together a worship experience with a focus on the millennium development goals using U2," Trakel said.

"We can use U2's music only if you take a Goodwill offering to support local charities," she said, adding St. James' freewill charity will be donated to the Guest House and Camp Webb.

The Guest House is a homeless shelter located on 1212 N. 13th St. and Camp Webb is a summer camp sponsored by the Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee in Watoma, Wis.

According to Jim Hahn, development director at the Guest House, the shelter is excited to be the recipient of the offering.

"It is an amazing opportunity to partner with St. James," he said. "St. James has taken on the city to sleep on their grounds and has given the homeless a place to stay."

The money the Guest House receives will go toward operating expenses, Hahn said.

"We tend to get tight at the end of our fiscal year, so this money will be a great help," he said.

According to Carlynn Higbie, director of Camp Webb, the camp is a traditional outdoor adventure camp about two hours north of Milwaukee. Camp Webb is owned and operated by the Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee.

"The funds from U2charist will go toward a scholarship for inner city youth going to Camp Webb," she said. "It is for kids who otherwise night not have the opportunity to go to summer camp."