Agencies aim for domestic violence awareness

The Sojourner Truth House is a Milwaukee shelter for women and children that offers programs for domestic violence victims and abusers.,”Marquette and Milwaukee area organizations are working this month to promote domestic abuse awareness as part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

The Sojourner Truth House is a Milwaukee shelter for women and children that offers programs for domestic violence victims and abusers. The house served 27,000 people last year through all its programs.

The house has 37 beds and is the biggest domestic abuse shelter in Milwaukee, according to Associate Director Angela Mancuso.

One in three teenagers know a friend who has been in an abusive relationship, Mancuso said.

"Unfortunately, sometimes girls find behaviors like jealousy flattering, when really it is a sign of a potential abusive relationship," she said. "Possessive behaviors should be considered warning signs."

Other warning signs include fast-moving relationships, being physical and use of force.

"Marquette students should know their campus and community resources and use them if they need to," she said.

According to Mancuso, if college students experience abuse in their relationship, they should call the Sojourner Truth House hotline. The number is (414) 933-2722 and is confidential.

The house has programs for everyone involved in domestic abuse.

According to Mancuso, the house offers shelter and program services, children's programs, a Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate program, a Transition program, a Batterers Anonymous-Beyond Abuse program and a Community Education program.

The agency will be working with Marquette's Alpha Chi Omega branch to spread the word about domestic violence.

According to Brittany Beck, junior in the College of Business Administration andA member of Alpha Chi Omega, the sorority will hold a candlelight vigil around Westowne Square on Wednesday night.

"Fr. Leonhart of Sojourner House will pray for the victims of domestic abuse," she said.A "We will also be selling flowers in remembrance of the victims."

From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday, Beck said, Alpha Chi willA raise money for charityA withA a pancake breakfast. The breakfast will be with Sigma Chi at Sigma Chi.

The sorority is holding "Kiss an Alpha Chi and Kiss Domestic Violence Goodbye" today at Central Mall from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Another resource for victims of domestic abuse is the Milwaukee Women's Center, an emergency shelter for battered women and children.

According to Liz Frinzi, grant coordinator for the center, the shelter has been open since 1980, offers shelter for women and children and has a clinic for substance abuse issues and a social services program.

"We recognize all the different needs of victims, so we try to provide programs for them all," she said.

According to Frinzi, most homicide against women is because of domestic violence, which is why National Crime Prevention Month is also October.

Domestic abuse is a problem because many people do not believe domestic abuse is violence simply because it is in the home, Frinzi said.

According to Frinzi, 50 percent of homeless women are homeless because of domestic abuse.

"It's a tough decision for women to make — either they can be homeless or go back to their abusive relationship," she said.

The shelter also provides counseling to men who have beaten women in the past, Frinzi said.