Sharp wit defines ‘Scissors’

[email protected]

Tying together episodic events, especially psychotic-laden ones, into a coherent narrative is no easy task. Add in teenage uncertainties, dysfunctional families and a blurry line between patient and psychiatrist, and it is almost miraculous that Augusten Burroughs' autobiography, "Running with Scissors," translates to both book and film.,”

Tying together episodic events, especially psychotic-laden ones, into a coherent narrative is no easy task. Add in teenage uncertainties, dysfunctional families and a blurry line between patient and psychiatrist, and it is almost miraculous that Augusten Burroughs' autobiography, "Running with Scissors," translates to both book and film.

After 13-year-old Augusten (Joseph Cross) watches his parents' marriage suffer, he is sent to live with his mother's shrink, a home which is as loving as it is quirky. Dinner conversations are spent expressing true feelings; Augusten often watches TV with Dr. Finch's wife as she snacks on dog kibble.

Augusten befriends Dr. Finch's daughter, Natalie (Evan Rachel Wood), and enters a sexual, romantic relationship with the Finch's 35-year-old adopted son, Neil Bookman (Joseph Fiennes).

Oscar buzz already surrounding Annette Bening (Augusten's mother) is deserved, her detached voice has an inimitable controlled craziness that perfectly matches her glazed-over blue eyes.

The film also functions as a 1970s period piece with spot-on music, clothes and thoughts of the time written into the script.

For as much crying, screaming and talking about feelings as the characters do, the film's tone isn't depressing. This is due to the strong writing on the part of both screenplay writer/director Ryan Murphy ("Nip/Tuck") and his collaboration with Burroughs. For Murphy's feature film directorial debut, his execution is near flawless, with a variety of camera angles, cuts of two simultaneous events and use of music.

When viewed as a coming-of-age tale, the ending of the film is triumphant, as Burroughs was able to take his past and write it with wit and clarity unbefitting of any of the character's actions.

The Verdict: ***