Comedians release new CD’s

Being a comedian and finding new material is undoubtedly a difficult job. Three comedians released CD's of their work this week, and the manner that these comedians choose to deliver their jokes, either through songs, witty sarcasm or the sadly ever-popular reliance on racial or gender stereotypes, affects the quality of their material.

Christian Finnegan is by far the most entertaining of the three. He works his sense of sarcasm more hilariously than sardonically.

His CD gives some visual clues to what his stand up show might look like, since Finnegan says he "looks like Biff from 'Back to the Future,' " but other parts of his routine don't translate. A joke depicting his "make-out face" requires the listener to actually see his face to fully appreciate the joke.

When he jokes about how he thought that Alaska was an island off the coast of Hawaii (because of the way maps in schools are always laid out), his style borders on a Conan-like self-deprecation, which translates well. Though Finnegan has some low blows on his girlfriend and Steven Hawking, his material has a more original feel than the racially tinged material of Greg Giraldo.

Giraldo's is a natural fit for the Blue-Collar Comedy Tour, as he relies on easy jokes that insult those who have already endured mocking. Maury Povich paternity tests, church pedophilia and "Brokeback Mountain" supporters are all fair game to Giraldo's observations. The title of his CD, "Good Day to Cross a River," pokes at illegal immigrants, in a way that refutes Homer Simpson's oft quoted line, "It's funny because it's true."

"The Amazing Adventures of Pleaseeasaur," also out this week, sticks to topics that should be funnier, like cobras and pizza, but also ultimately fails. Despite the frenetic pacing of directorial cuts on the two-disc "Pleaseeasaur" DVD/CD, it still manages to move as slowly as a one-legged dinosaur.

The animation, done by those responsible for the actually entertaining "Sealab 2020," also only appears to serve to tie the songs featured on the CD together into a plot about a diamond heist that also falls flat on its unfunny face.

Though some songs have clever titles, like "No Prob Limo," which resembles a commercial for a limousine company, the structure of songs means that the chorus will eventually repeat. And it doesn't warrant a second listen.

At least co-creators JP Hasson and Thomas Hurley III cannot be faulted for their spirit, as they directed, wrote, performed the songs, provided the outlandish costumes, produced and shot the footage for the DVD.

Verdicts: Finnegan: ***

Giraldo: * 1/2

Pleaseeasaur: No Stars