For some faculty, it’s D2Hell

As the university's efforts to promote technology on campus press on, some professors have embraced Desire2Learn and CheckMarq to post grades and lecture material. But others say they find the programs complicated and time consuming.

Michelle Mynlieff, associate professor of biological sciences, said she often has had difficulties with D2L and CheckMarq when posting students' grades. Mynlieff, a member of the Committee on Faculty, became so frustrated she brought it up at a recent meeting.

"Part of the problem is that CheckMarq updates the class list every night," she said.

If a student drops out of the class, then this throws off the class list on D2L, and she must go through and check that both lists are compatible, she said.

"I had well over 3,000 midterm grades to post," Mynlieff said. "I think we really need a system that is automated."

According to Mynlieff, another problem with D2L occurs when students drop a class because the class average automatically increases, thus creating a false portrayal of the average grade.

For professors who teach hundreds of students, D2L would be much more helpful if the program stored e-mails sent to students, Mynleiff said. If D2L stored e-mails, professors would have an easier time remembering who they have been in contact with, she said.

According to Mynlieff, better support is needed when she has trouble with the programs.

"I can't wait around for Information Technology Services to get back to me when students are waiting for their grades," she said.

According to Kathy Lang, Chief of Information of ITS, problems with D2L and CheckMarq are most likely individal and not problems with the programs on the whole. Lane stated she was unaware of any problems professors were having with D2L or CheckMarq.

Lang was unable to say whether most calls made to ITS for program help came from students or faculty.

"I do know that calls are way down regarding password resets and wireless issues," she said.

Other professors who use D2L regularly have yet to find any problems with the program.

James Scotton, associate professor of journalism, said he has been using D2L to post course content since the university's complete switch from Blackboard in 2005.

"It's pretty useful," he said. "I haven't had any problems with it."

Other professors said they have found D2L a valuable teaching tool.

"I find D2L a valuable accessory to the classroom and a resource for Marquette," said McGee Young, assistant professor of political science, in an e-mail.

Young said he uses D2L often and has had few problems with the program.

Timothy McMahon, assistant professor of history, said he uses D2L to post course content and has not had problems.

"I don't post grades on D2L because that is my preference," he said.

McMahon said the other uses for the program have worked well.

McMahon also serves on an advisory board that meets once a month to discuss developments and concerns with the program. According to McMahon, the board is comprised of faculty members from different colleges and ITS representatives. The board stays connected with the D2L in order to help correct problems with the program and remain up to date on new advancements.