We the people of Wisconsin

By Jim McLaughlin

Special to the Tribune

Despite many challenges to it, the Wisconsin constitution still holds true and is an effective guide for the state, according to three former Wisconsin governors and a former lieutenant governor.,”Despite many challenges to it, the Wisconsin constitution still holds true and is an effective guide for the state, according to three former Wisconsin governors and a former lieutenant governor.

Members of the panel, which met Thursday evening in the Alumni Memorial Union's Lunda Room, included former governors Patrick Lucey (D) and Tony Earl (D). Former Lt. Gov. Margaret Farrow (R) was also present in place of former Gov. Scott McCallum (R). Former Gov. Lee Sherman Dreyfus (R) made a short appearance via video.

Dreyfus, who served in office from 1979 to 1983, made a few brief points about his views on the current Wisconsin constitution, and answered a few questions from discussion moderator Jeff Mayers, president of WisPolitics.com, a nonpartisan Web site dedicated to covering Wisconsin politics. In his comments, Dreyfus emphasized the need for the separation of church and state.

"For the state to be involved in church decisions is bothersome to me," Dreyfus said. He also said making any insignificant amendments to the constitution was "bad news."

The panelists were first asked to answer whether or not they felt the current state constitution was still a viable frame of government, to which they all agreed that it was still effective.

Farrow, who served with McCallum from 2001-'03, said the state constitution was "a strong document to guide all of us."

She still shared some concerns, especially in "what has seemed to erode in terms of the checks and balances in our branches of government," she said.

"In our state there's a strong sway over to the executive branch," Farrow said. "I'm not sure that the constitution is the place to remedy that, but we have to address it and we can't pretend it isn't happening."

Earl, who served from 1983 to 1987, agreed with the lieutenant governor.

"Most of the complaints I hear about the structure of our government I think can be addressed legislatively," rather than constitutionally, he said.

Mayers asked the panel what, if anything, they would change about the constitution. The panelists all felt that the constitution as a whole was composed well, but a few smaller changes would be desirable.

Lucey, governor of Wisconsin from 1971 to 1977 and ambassador to Mexico from 1977 to 1979 under President Jimmy Carter, responded that he would like the governor to have the power to appoint a more cabinet-centered administration, but no major changes were necessary.

Earl, a member of Lucey's cabinet before being elected in 1983, said he would eliminate the line-item veto, which grants the governor the power to veto only certain parts of a bill.

Farrow said she was concerned about the overabundance of local governments – around 1,800 – in Wisconsin. She said she supports the consolidation of many municipalities, but has concerns with "the way the uniformity clause impacts communities that want to come together because they have different debt levels." The uniformity clause calls for all property in a district to be taxed equally, making some of these consolidating communities take on the debt of those with whom they merge.

In her closing remarks, Farrow said Wisconsin prided itself on its open, responsive government, but that it should not be "stuck in the mud in the 20th century." The constitution is good overall with a little room for fine-tuning, she said.