MUSG votes to preserve O’Donnell’s single-sex status

This marks MUSG's second recommendation to the administration in two weeks.,”In response to the possible transformation of O'Donnell Hall into a coed residence hall Marquette Student Government voted 22-1, with three abstentions, in support of a recommendation calling for O'Donnell to remain an all-male residence hall.

This marks MUSG's second recommendation to the administration in two weeks. Unlike the resolution supporting the reinstatement of the South Africa Service Learning Program, the O'Donnell recommendation was passed without unanimous student opinion.

More than 25 students, alumni and administration attended the senate meeting, of which five spoke during the Forum for Concerned Students.

College of Business Administration sophomore Kevin Jolivette spoke in favor of the change, arguing, "The tradition of O'Donnell isn't defined by being all-male, but instead is defined by a great sense of community. And that community will not diminish if O'Donnell goes coed."

One of those who spoke against the change was current O'Donnell Hall resident and College of Arts & Sciences freshman Chris Burrell, who said most residents are "glad and proud" to live in O'Donnell by the end of the year.

"Yes, only 44 students chose O'Donnell as their first or second choice of residence halls this year, but most come to love it. If we change O'Donnell Hall, then we'll be subjecting current student opinion to potential student ignorance," Burrell said.

The decision regarding the change has not yet been made, but needs to be finalized in the next two weeks, according to Dean of Residence Life Jim McMahon.

The reason for the possible change of O'Donnell is that "Marquette simply cannot meet the demand for coed housing for prospective students," McMahon said.

O'Donnell is subject to change from single-sex to coed because there is a smaller demand for O'Donnell than for Cobeen Hall.

According to McMahon, every year more than 200 male students who are assigned to O'Donnell Hall write e-mails, send letters and call Marquette to voice "extreme anger and frustration regarding being thrown into an all-male dorm against their will."

McMahon urged MUSG to remember those students who did not have a voice at the meeting, namely next year's incoming freshmen, who will be put into a single-sex atmosphere against their will should O'Donnell remain male only.

"We have the responsibility to look out not only for current students but future students as well," McMahon said.

Nonetheless, MUSG passed the recommendation, entitled "Uphold the Tradition," which calls for O'Donnell to remain an all-male residence hall, as well as asking the Office of Residence Life to take measures to make O'Donnell Hall more appealing to incoming students.

The suggested measures include upgrading the facilities in O'Donnell and a section outlined as "Traditions of Each Residence Hall" that would be included in the "Enter Here" booklet that helps students decide their residence hall of choice.