Don’t Break Your Back Or Your Bank Account

Backpacks are becoming a bigger and bigger fashion statement. And with fashion statements come price tags.

While the trend is becoming more popular on and off campus, there are so many more options to choose from. It may be really nice to rock the “it” backpack, but it kind of gets old once 1/3 of your class are sporting it in every color and then some.

Canvas backpacks are great for school, trips, and basically anything that involves lots and lots of crap. They have a million and one compartments, stay closed with the multiple buckles and clasps, and overall just look really nice. Stores like Urban Outfitters and NastyGal adopted the trend a few years back, but with Herschel, WeSC, and Burton, prices are getting a little steeper. However, since the trend is becoming more popular. A  lot of less expensive brands are producing their own canvas bags with unique prints and sizes. Baggu at Urban, Vans, Spurling and stores like Target are giving the multi-pocketed bag their own spin.

While fabric might not be durable enough, fashion backpacks are popping up everywhere too. Leather, suede, and even plastic are great alternatives to fabric bags. They don’t wear out as easily, but they can be more difficult to maintain and clean. Smaller fashion bags are replacing purses for less strenuous activities (work, hanging out, etc.), take up less space, and don’t weigh nearly as much.

Things to keep in mind when checking out bags: make sure there aren’t too many pockets, buckles, clips, and chains. You don’t want to get tangled in a  mess and cause an embarrassing scene. For school any pattern pattern or color works. Just get something that reflects your style or personality! But be sure to get something comfy, you don’t  want to upset your back! As for fashion bags and off-campus bags, get something that won’t break after one use. You want to invest in something that’s durable, not too large and works with various outfits.

Also, IMO I really like fanny packs. Especially for concerts, festivals, or any event.

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 8.53.26 PM H&M Backpack $35

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 8.53.31 PM Forever 21 Sweet Gingham Backpack $24.80

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 8.54.03 PM Urban Renewal  Vintage Small Leather  Backpack $59

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 8.54.21 PM All-Son Canvas Rucksack (on sale) $24

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 8.54.32 PM Jansport Hoffman Double-Pocket Backpack $40