The Gus Knorr Show – 1/30/12

Hey everyone! Since winter break is done, that means a great semester of new programming is upon us, and one of these great programs will be The Gus Knorr Show, in a new time slot, on Monday nights from 9:30-11:00 PM. This show’s theme is a Super Bowl one, with songs played at memorable Super Bowl halftime shows throughout history, and some infamous team sports songs, a la “The Super Bowl Shuffle.”

• The first song tonight will be a well-known instrumental piece by NFL Films composer Sam Spence, entitled “Round Up.”
    • Next, one of the best-known songs by Michael Jackson, who performed this (along with three other songs) at the halftime show for Super Bowl XXVII in 1993. From his wildly popular 1982 album Thriller, it’s “Billie Jean.”
    • Another song performed from a Super Bowl halftime show was “Purple Rain” by Prince, which was fittingly performed during a Super Bowl where it was raining during the game. It’s also the next song on The Gus Knorr Show.
    • The next song was performed in Super Bowl XXXVI, the first Super Bowl played after 9/11. It was also played as the final song during what is widely considered one of the best Super Bowl halftime shows ever: “Where the Streets Have No Name” by U2.
    • Switching things up a little bit, we’re going to next play a few songs from new CDs that have been just received by the Marquette Radio Music Department. The first one of these is “Out of Yer Mind,” by The Melismatics, off of their new album, Mania!.
    • Another song from an album that will be released tomorrow is next; it’s “Betty Wang,” by indie pop band Hospitality, off their self-titled full-length debut album.
    • We’ll be next switching up to team football songs, and start off by playing arguably the best-known one, “The Super Bowl Shuffle” by the 1985 Chicago Bears. (Disclaimer: I am a die-hard Packers fan, but I can still laugh at the song’s unintentional hilarity.)
    • Next up is a response to “The Super Bowl Shuffle,” by the 1985 New England Patriots, performed by the Soundtrack Studio Singers, and titled “New England, the Patriots, and We.” They played the Bears in Super Bowl XX, and despite predicting a win, the Pats were completely demolished 46-10.
    • The next song is one performed by Jimmy “Spiderman” Allen, a defensive back for the 1980 Detroit Lions, and it’s his version of the Queen song “Another One Bites the Dust.” It was released several years before “The Super Bowl Shuffle,” but they wound up missing the playoffs narrowly the same year they wrote the song, despite predicting a Super Bowl appearance.
    • This is followed by another parody of a popular song, being a parody of Will Smith’s song, “Miami.” It concerned the 1998 Minnesota Vikings, who as we all know, weren’t able to make the Super Bowl in Miami that year, losing in a crushing defeat to the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC Championship.
    • The Wesley Willis Song of the Week is next, and it describes the Bears defeating the 49ers in an NFL game, and for whatever reason is titled “NFL Crap.”
    • Switching back to a song from the 1980’s is a song by the 1985 Seattle Seahawks, who nobody remembers because they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs. This “Yakety Sax”-esque song is titled “The Blue Wave is on a Roll,” and has lead vocals sung by Michael Jackson (the Seahawks linebacker, not the King of Pop.)
    • Next up is a timeless classic from 1990, parodying M.C. Hammer’s song, “U Can’t Touch This.” It’s performed by the 1990 Miami Dolphins, and features the obligatory Zubaz pants, and perhaps most awesomely, a backup offensive lineman, Jeff Dellenbach, playing a keytar.
    • The final song is performed by Bootsy Collins, of Parliament and Funkadelic fame, and several Cincinnati Bengals players, called “Fear da Tiger.” It concerns the 2005 Cincinnati Bengals, who made their first playoff appearance in 15 years, before losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs.

That’s it for The Gus Knorr Show tonight, but be sure to tune in for the rest of the semester at its new time, 9:30-11:00 PM on Monday nights. Thanks for listening!